Johnny's POV (2)

Ponyboy & i were on our way to meet Katelyn at the lot when we started hearing screaming. Ponyboy & i ran as fast as we could to the lot. There, we found Dally fighting off 3 socs & Katelyn laying on the ground not moving at all. As soon as I saw Katelyn, I forced myself to run faster. We got to the lot & me & Pony started helping Dally with the socs. As soon as I had finished off mine, I ran over to Katelyn. Her head was bleeding & she was unconscious. I held her motionless, yet beautiful body in my arms. I could feel her steady breathing on my neck, which was a good thing. I had settled a little bit, until Pony had finally gotten Dally off of Bob. I could tell he was angry. He was angry because Katelyn was in MY arms. He walked over & tried to take her from me. He grabbed at her wrist roughly. I shot my head up, looking him dead in his eyes, my eyes locked on his. I gently grabbed her wrist back & laid it across her stomach. He looked like he was about to kill me, but I didn't care. Katelyn meant everything to me. I don't fully understand her yet, but I will. Soon.

'What secrets are you keeping from me, beautiful?' I thought to myself, as I gazed upon Katelyn's gorgeous face. I brushed a few strands of hair out of her face & cupped her face in my hands.

"Ponyboy," Dally said, "go get Darry, Sodapop, & Two-Bit."

Ponyboy ran down to his house to get them. I just started at Katelyn, occasionally looking up to see Dally staring me & her down.

"You can't keep her forever, Johnny." He said to me.

"And why not?"

"Because. She's mine." He said in a tone of dominance I had never heard before.

"And who says? Maybe she doesn't want you? Maybe she doesn't want either of us." I said. That must have brought a realization to Dally because his face went pale.

"I know. I'll win her heart. Somehow. But she will be mine." He said.

I went back to stroking Katelyn's head. I wonder why Dally told Ponyboy to get the others?