➽Chapter Nine

Onyx knew the headache that rattled her head was Rheynoak's doing and her foolishness for trusting him

She had woken up to sunlight on her face and her body covered in sweat. She looked around briefly, recognizing the bookshelf to her left and she sighed in relief.

She was in her room.

Her body was numb as she attempted to roll over and sleep, her fingers gripping the sheets. She closed her eyes to recall any memory of what had happened after but a blank slate sat in her mind.

She tried for what seemed like an eternity to recall her memory but the harder she tried, the more scattered her memory became.

In the last attempt, she managed to crawl out of bed and take a bath, changing into a pair of clean clothes and gathering her sword before she ventured outside.

She had to speak with Venix. She always had the answer.

The tribe grounds were unusually quiet as she looked around, a frown on her face.

Was it the same day or had weeks passed by?

Her memory failed her but she knew one thing for sure. The aching of her bones suggested she had slept through more than one day.

The door to Venix's hut was open when the Mind Siphon was close enough to see the fragile hinges of the door hanging completely off the scale.

Immediately, her frown dropped, her hand curling around her sword as she closed the space between the door and her.

Placing one hand on the broken door, Onyx pushed herself into the hut to discover the filth Venix had made of her living space

Thousands of pages were torn and scattered on the floor. Broken objects were shattered into ruins, glass scraping against the floor.

An ink jar was spilled across the carpet, tainting any piece of paper it touched, and in the middle of everything frantically sat Venix.

She flipped through the pages of a book in her hand, her hands fidgeting as her violet eyes scanned across the words. Her hair was a mess, her skin sickly pale and sweat and blood stained her thin shirt.

Onyx watched with surprise and confusion as her friend launched the book into the air, watching as it hit an item off her desk.

She bent down to take a closer look at the scraps of paper, her eyes growing wide when she realized they were torn pages from the books she had taken from the book of Aysein. She picked up a page, sighing at the ruined words.

"No, No!" Venix screamed as she ripped the piece of paper out of the book and crumbled it in her hands. Then just as quickly, she tossed it to the floor.

"Venix!" Onyx hissed her name, rushing into the room to her friend. The BloodBoone lifted her eyes to meet hers, her fingers shaking.

A gasp left her lips, followed by a sloppy attempt to get up. Cold, clammy hands grabbed her wrist. "Inerisinyanimesimatiyichilali. be'inyahulumimesimatiyichilali" the witch uttered, taking in deep breaths to stabilize herself.