➽Chapter Thirty Seven

Onyx and Alesandria didn't wait until the first break of dawn to soar through the magical barrier that circled around the grounds of the Erabon mountains

After discovering the secret behind Alesandria's heightened powers, the Mind Siphon made sure to wait until the sky was between the hours of morning and night and the stars were somehow visible in the dark, ocean sky to safely guide them out of the mountains.

Following a rugged path that buried itself between the thick forests and morning dew grass, they were able to pick themselves through the forest with only their bags hanging off their shoulders before reaching a river that separated them from the rest of the path.

Looking down at the roaring currents, the village girl gulped, feeling her feet move back. But her companion looked at her, a glimmer burning in her eyes. "This is a great opportunity to put your strength and speed to the test," she said, taking a closer step towards the current.

She looked back at, a small smile nudging on her lips. "You'll be fine. It's all about courage and channeling your powers into your actions" she reminded her, waving a hand over to the river. "Just take a deep breath and the rest will guide you."

Nodding, Alesandria willed her legs to take a couple of steps closer to the raging waters, fluttering her eyes close to channel all her powers to flow inside her body and burst with energy. A dizziness pulled her body to sleep for a minute and she was still, almost not breathing.

Her heart fluttered once before something ignited inside of her and exploded. Like lightning hitting her veins, she shook awake, her eyes fluttering wide open and a burst of strength seizing her body and pushing her forward. Before she knew it herself, she and Onyx were running down the stone paths in the rivers, their shoes scuffing against the boulders and the very early morning wind kissing their cheeks.

Feeling the breath of the wind on her skin was one thing, but Alesandria knew the difference of tasting it as soon as it hit her tongue, a sweet flavor she could never get used to. It was refreshing and wild and free, something she yearned to be.

Before she knew it, they were down the path of the mountain and making their way into the heart of Serius, the town square. Onyx took a breath, pushing her fingers through her hair. "You are one heck of a runner" she breathed, stepping past the rocks and pebbles that met them in their jagged path.

Alesandria only chuckled, curling her fingers around the strap of her bag. "I used to chase Eros around in the town square all the time. That boy made me run for miles and miles." She smiled, the memories fading in black and white in her head. It seemed as if those memories happened only a few months ago, back when she was untouched and pure.

Oh, how she wished for those days back. Those days when she was happy and free and pure.

By the time they had crossed over another river, down a mud-slicked path and through another thicket of emerald trees to reach the town square, the sun was already beaming its rays into the sky, the kingdom awakening with a frenzy. There weren't many people wandering around, only elderly women who set up their booths for the day, setting their handwoven baskets by their feet.