➺Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-three

Zaeem paced his study, his conversation with the King repeating in his mind. After the revelation, Aaida had fainted in shock and was rushed to a guest bedroom where a female physician had been called to attend to her. While she was being taken care of, the King had pulled Zaeem aside.

"I didn't go after Aaida when she was in Mustafa's custody because of my relationship with Lord Usman. He is a man of title and going against him would've cost me heavily especially since he knows many of the Dragos family secrets. But I do know for a fact that when Mustafa . . . hurt your wife, she went into induced labor. During her unconsciousness, she delivered your child prematurely. Mustafa got what he wanted. Don't you think it's strange that he allowed Aaida to go with you without making a fuss? Why hasn't he come for her if he didn't already have what he'd set out for?" What he said made sense. "Listen to me, Zaeem, I do not like you. Your grandfather is the reason an Al-Makki has been threatened. Your father is the cause of all this. I know you haven't been the best husband to my Aaida either but I'm willing to overlook all that for one favor. You will get our Al-Makki back."

Zaeem pursed his lips. "That goes without saying."

"However, you'll do it on your own. I would offer my services but as long as Lord Usman remains a threat to my family, I cannot lift a finger to aid you."

"I thought Aaida was your family," Zaeem scowled. He was fine with taking his child back on his own yet he knew how difficult that would be considering how powerful his grandfather was.

The King's eyes hardened. "I have children too, Zaeem. Four bastards and one legitimate. I cannot help you if it means putting their lives in danger."

"I have one child, Azrael," for the first time, Zaeem addressed him with his true name. "And I have not seen him since he was born. If you aren't going to offer your service then at least give me your word."

"For what?"

"I'm going to kill my grandfather and uncle. If they're still around, my family will be in constant danger. Give me your word that there won't be a trial."

"If you kill Lord Usman and his heir, I will grant you lordship in return. The courts will only be involved in your inauguration."

"I don't want the lordship."

"A favor for a favor. I pardon you and you give Lady Aaida the title she deserves. My only one regret is that I did not believe she was Qayser's daughter the moment I read his will. If I had, she would've given birth to my son instead. I doubt I can convince her to marry me now. If she won't be my Queen, she will be my Lady."

"I'll think about it. Next time though, I suggest you treat her like a married woman instead of one of your mistresses."

"You are forgetting that I am King."

"And you're forgetting that I'm married to Aaida Al-Makki. She has as much claim to your title as you do."

Azrael narrowed his eyes. "You wouldn't try to usurp me, would you?"

"Don't give me reason to," Zaeem said although he knew very well that he didn't want the throne and neither did Aaida. At the moment, all he wanted was his child back in his arms.

"Go get your child, Zaeem," Azrael pressed a hand to his shoulder. "Kill Lord Usman and his heir. Take the lordship I offer. And when all that is done and over with, remember that you may not have my throne but you have the one woman I will ever desire. That should be victory enough for you."