Chapter Eight

October 25th, 1942

Manchester, England

Dan watched Phil from across the room. A cigarette rested between his fingers as he studied for his history test. His hair was messy, having made out with Dan only moments ago before he went near the window for a smoke.

Phil breathed in and out, blowing the smoke right towards the window, knowing Dan didn't want himself to smell of cigarettes when he leaves later. Phil was proud his lover didn't smoke. It was quite addicting.

Phil leaned his head back, watching the students outside and he looked back to his book. Dan shifted on the bed and Phil looked up to see him standing on his knees and only in his boxers.

"Phiw," Dan teased, grinning as he put a finger in his mouth. "Haven't you studied enough?" Dan asked, moving his hands around his own body. Phil didn't think he could be even more attracted to Dan, but here he was, being aroused by a younger.

"Oi, bloody hell Dan, you're gonna get it good, eh." Phil said as he put the cigarette out on his already dead plant on the window sill and he moved almost too swiftly over to his lover.

---

"Happy one year, lovely." Phil whispered as he laid beside a sleepy, eyes blown out wide, freshly fucked Dan. Dan mumbled something Phil didn't understand but he wrapped him up in his pale arms anyways and gave him a small squeeze.

"I love you,"

"I love you too."

Dan shifted in his arms and moved to look up at Phil. "Please don't ever leave me, Phil." Dan's voice was shaky and Phil's never felt his heart drop faster.

He shook his head, "Never."

But he was lying.

---

December 31st, 1942

Stockport, England.

The alcohol in Dan's right hand was something heavy. He wasn't sure what it was but he didn't dare take one drink, because Phil had and now he was dancing alone on their coffee table.

"Daniel! Come join me, darling!" Phil grinned, jumping down and facing Dan. Dan shook his head.

"The neighbors will phone the police, Phil!" Dan laughed as Phil danced alone in the middle of their living room. Phil grabbed Dan's hand and made him dance with him. Dan put down his drink and laughed with Phil, holding onto his hands.

"I love being homosexual!" Phil shouted over their radio music and Dan laughed loudly, his head falling back. His dimples showed and even in Phil's drunken state he was still the most beautiful thing on earth.

"Who even knows this song?" Dan shouted back as Phil spun him around. Phil shrugged and to Dan it seemed like everything was moving in slow motion.

They spun around as they laughed and Phil's breath smelt of heavy whiskey and cigarettes. Dan didn't mind though because right in the moment he was loving the smell because it was Phil. And he loved him, a lot.

Things felt like home.