Chapter Nine

February 24th, 1943

Stockport, England

The boys' holiday break had extended due to weather and war issues. So the two would sit in their apartment and only leave when food was needed. They bathed in each other's warmth most mornings, and stayed up late each night, playing their typical board games or making the bed hit the wall.

Things were quiet in the morning, Dan waking up to Phil still sleeping and the curtains still closed. He sighed, wishing to capture the moment in time and stay forever. He moved from the bed and stood up, feeling the cool morning air hit his naked body. He shivered a bit and grabbed his boxers from the floor, pulling them up his legs and onto his waist.

He walked from their room and into their small kitchen, grabbing a bowl from the cupboard. He made himself grits and enough for Phil too when he woke up and walked into the tiny living room. He sat on the couch, eating his breakfast and knew any minute now, Phil'd be up.

"Dan?" he heard a voice yawn and Dan grinned to himself, hearing Phil shuffle into the kitchen and get himself some grits.

"Hi, lovely." Phil whispered as he sat down next to Dan, their bowls in their laps. Dan smiled and leaned his head onto Phil's shoulder, closing his eyes a bit.

It was silent for a while until Phil spoke up.

"So, my friends who work in military units of the government or something — not really sure — anyways, they invited me round to their place on Friday and they said you could tag along." Dan nodded, thinking it sounded fun and realising he hadn't been out in a while.

"That'll be nice," Dan said to Phil and Phil smiled, glad he was agreeing to it.

---

Friday rolled around and the boys had finally gotten properly dressed in what felt like years. Dan had his new jacket Phil got him on over his suspenders and tucked in pants. Phil wore something similar in colour and the two looked like a couple.

Phil and Dan both had to remind themselves that they must act like best friends and not kiss one another. Phil warned Dan of his friends' homophobic slurs they might say and for him to not be too offended because Phil loved him no matter what.

The two left the apartment — not before making out against the door — and set for the train to Manchester. They boarded and Dan sat a little too closely to Phil, having to scoot away when an older gentlemen eyed them from another seat. Phil wrote in their secret writing they made up about a year ago and told Dan he loved him.

Dan smiled at this and wrote back that he already missed his kisses and Phil smiled, nudging his lover and went back to looking forward.

When the train finally stopped at Manchester, the two got off and Phil had to ask for directions. They walked along the busy Friday night streets of the familiar town and Dan had to refrain himself from reaching out and holding Phil's hand. Phil tugged him along, letting Dan grab ahold of his jacket from behind and Dan stayed close.

"Over here," Phil said, jutting his head in the direction and Dan followed him to a back street. They walked along a less busy street and Phil smiled, seeing his friends house in view.

"Don't be afraid, they're nice guys, just a little..." as Phil said this Dan heard the loudest voice yell and Dan looked up to see a man a little shorter than him standing in his doorway.

"Phil Lester!" the man screamed and Phil chuckled, waving. He turned back to Dan and finished his sentence.

"Loud,"

"Philip, it is so good to see you, mate." The man shook Phil's hand and smiled widely at him. "Have ya been busy? Haven't seen you in a while, mate." His dark hair was a bit messy and Dan noticed an expensive watch on his wrist.

"Uni has me stumped, Levi." Phil said. Levi nodded and turned to Dan.

"Oi, m'being rude! You are?" Levi asked him as he stuck out his meaty hand. Dan shook it.

"Daniel Howell,"

"Danny! Wonderful, glad to see Phil's made friends. I'm Levi Silan, why don't we go inside to see the gay lords," Dan glanced at Phil and Phil pressed a hand to his back, as if telling him to ignore it and keep going. Dan walked in after Levi and into the house.

It was warm inside and the first thing Dan noticed was how oddly clean it was. Levi guided them through a long hallway and Dan could hear soft music playing and people talking. They walked into a living room and three men were sitting side by side on a couch, yelling at one another about something.

"No, Greg someone is going to break enigma." said a more heavier one and Dan automatically felt out of place as he stepped into the room.

"Greg, Vernon, Casey, look who is here." Levi patted Phil's back and they all smiled widely, getting up with a sense of loudness and went to hug Phil. Dan awkwardly stood back and waited to introduce himself.

"I see King Gay lord has brought his boyfriend," Vernon, the one who spoke to Greg, said. Dan froze, knowing there was no way they could've found out about that. "Joking, M'Vernon, you are?" he held out his hand and Dan shook it.

"Daniel," Dan spoke his full name and Vernon nodded, gripping his hand.

"Nice to meet you," Vernon grinned, his black hair being slicked back.

Dan introduced himself to the others and knew it was going to be a long night.

---

"So, she looks up at me with her pretty doe eyes as if for permission which I was way passed and just wanted her to put it her mouth. So she finally started to suck me off, and I'm telling you, she was amazing." Greg told the group and Dan shifted, uncomfortable. They all put in their opinions about how they liked to be sucked off just right and Phil's eyes met his.

He laughed silently to his boyfriend, thinking about how Dan gave him a quick one just this morning.

"What about you Dan?" Casey spoke up and Dan took his eyes off Phil, noticing they all had their attention on him.

"What about me?" Dan asked and they laughed. What was so funny?

"How do you like it done?" Casey explained and Dan shrugged, realising what they meant.

"Oh, well, um just the standard way." Dan breathed a laugh and they nodded, agreeing that was nice as well. Phil staggered a laugh because he would never let Phil suck him off but only does it to Phil.

It was a long night.