Chapter Fourteen

January 10th, 1944

Stockport, England

Phil had gotten a job at the local super market and paid all the bills and bought food for him and Dan. Dan's family sent him money each month for reason he'd rather not ask about. All he knew was that he loved every pound of their money.

Dan had also received a letter this time from his mum, her wishing he was well and to come home soon so he could catch up with his brothers, and so she could see her son.

Dan smiled at the letter he got and asked Phil where in his desk he kept the paper and pen, grabbing some and writing. He wrote back that he would visit home soon and that he'd bring a friend, and that he was doing well.

"Who're you writing to?" Phil asked as he watched Dan from the bed. He was laying out his outfit for his shift tomorrow and Dan looked up.

"Just my mum," Dan said. "She says she misses me a lot and told me to visit home soon. My brothers are so much older now I cannot believe it."

"We should make the trip," Phil commented and Dan nodded, sitting crisscross now on the desk chair, watching Phil. He seemed to always be doing that.

"Shall we?"

---

March 7th, 1944

Wokingham, England

Dan sniffed the air as they walked out off the train. Phil trailed behind, watching Dan shuffle past people. Phil did the same, trying to keep up with him.

"Mummy!" Dan grinned as he approached his mother and gave her a huge hug. She cried into his shoulder and Phil thought of his own mum.

"Darling, I've missed you." she spoke softly, just like Dan, and her brown eyes met Phil's blue ones.

They pulled apart and she greeted Phil with warmth and Dan hugged his little brothers. They were twins, Adrian and Adam, and only a few years younger than Dan. Phil smiled at them and introduced himself.

"Declan's at the house waiting," said his mum, as they got into the family car and took off. Phil got to sit upfront with Dan's mum and Dan crammed in the back with the twins.

The car ride took only around 10 minutes and by the time they arrived Dan felt like his knees would come off they ached so much. They piled out of the car and Dan groaned, him being so tall and his legs hurting.

Phil laughed at him, watching his tall lover stretch his legs and his brothers walked into the house.

"C'mon loves," Dan's mum spoke, shooing the two inside the house. They walked in and Phil cooed at the house. It was a bit smaller than Phil's house, even though Dan had a bigger family. There were pictures on the walls of Dan and his 3 brothers.

They walked into the kitchen and in there was a boy who looked a bit like Dan and the twins.

"Hi, I'm Declan," he stuck out his hand and Phil shook it, being polite.

"M'Phil," Phil smiled and Declan moved his smooth hair from his face.

"Nice to meet you," Declan said, smiling as well and Dan hugged his brother. He grinned against him, and Phil turned around, moving out of Mrs. Howell's way as she entered the small kitchen and Phil stepped back, standing in the dining room.

The scene in front of him made him so happy. The family all one in the kitchen and they seemed so genuinely happy. Dan laughed with his brothers and Phil wondered how it all went wrong.