Chapter 15: Wedding Bells (Part 1)

Remain still. That's all she was asked to do. Simple. But not when you're expected to hold the same pose for four hours repetitively. Every time she moved the slightest bit or took a deep enough breath, the painter would get upset, cussing in his native french language. She watched him mix colors together on his stencil, accidentally dousing himself in the process. 

        Some wedding present. Although Kenzie was sure the portrait would turn out beautiful, which it should, since it was set to be hung in the living room of her new home. This was her fathers way of saying Kenzie will be the lady of the house. If he only knew how strained her relationship with Benicio truly was.

        With a satisfied grin, the painter finally looked up. "Viola," He chimed. He wiped his slightly damped forehead.

        Kenzie let out a long sigh. "Does this mean I can move?"

        The painter smiled. "Certainly honey."

        She stood up. It felt good. If she stayed in that same position any longer she was sure her body would become stiff forever.

       The painter looked most pleased with himself. "Marvelous," He said. "A true masterpiece. It's better than the one I did for your mother."

        This was definite news to Kenzie's ears. Not many people talked about her mother. She was sure if anyone knew her, they were back in Mississippi.

          "The portrait of my mother, the one that is hung in my daddy's bedroom. You painted that?"

         He nodded. "Yes dear. It was a wedding gift I believe. He displayed it for all to see. Of course when she passed away he put it in his bedroom. It was my finest work to date, until now. Come here," he gestured for her to come to him. "Have a look."

         Kenzie walked to the canvas. When her eyes laid on the portrait she was lost for words. It was amazing. She didn't know much about art but it was beautifully detailed. She looked like a true movie star, one that belonged in Hollywood, with her chin resting on her delicate hand. Her hazel eyes fixated on the spot far off in the corner it really was a true masterpiece.

         She smiled. "I love it." 

       "Thank you honey." The painter said returning the smile. "But, there is one problem I could not fix."

        Kenzie knitted her eyebrows together. "What is it?" 

       "You have such beautiful eyes. So sincere, so innocent and full of life..." He said and didn't say no more.

        "Go on." She urged, not sure if she was ready to hear what he had to say.

         "Your eyes look so sad, almost as if you are ready to weep." 

         Kenzie looked at the painting. To her untrained eye she couldn't find no such fault.

        "I had to take up the corners a bit." The painter continued. "But not by much, it would have ruined the entire portrait." He turned to her. "Are you not happy about getting married."

       The question was surprising. The last thing she expected was for the painter of all people to question her wedding.

          Kenzie faked a smile. "Of course I'm happy. Benicio and I are... are very much in love."

         She silently prayed she sounded believable. Somehow Benicio's words 'We must appear to be in love' rang in her ears. She knew the mob lifestyle was dangerous, and she knew she couldn't fully trust anyone with information about her relationship.