Chapter 4

Forgotten

As the days progressed, I was beginning to feel more and more at home. Niall and I became closer everyday, which was nice because I missed having a friend by my side.

Celine and I also became closer as well. I could tell that she was a very trusting person, so I told her a lot of my secrets. But I didn't dare tell her about mine and Niall's close friendship. Afraid that she might freak out on me or something.

Celine and I ate breakfast together every morning. Only some days we would end up eating dinner together. But since we were so busy with homework, sometimes, dinner wasn't our first priority. And besides, I would usually eat dinner with Niall when we studied together.

I didn't bother to ask Celine about her and Niall in the picture that I had seen. The one of them kissing on the bench. I didn't know if maybe that was a sore topic or what, so I just let it go.

Our friendship was off to a good start and ruining it by bringing up a boy would be a stupid mistake.

My mom called me for the first time in weeks- to ask how school was going. It'd been too long since I had heard her voice. It felt good.

"I've met a couple new friends," I started, "Celine and Niall."

I could tell my mom was smiling, "Skylar, I'm so proud of you."

This time, I smiled. Knowing that she was happy without me, made me feel good.

She continued to ask me questions about school and I asked her questions about home. I didn't spend much time with my biological family, or at the house, but I still liked to hear about it.

Carter, my younger sister, was in tenth grade- a sophomore in high school. She was a beautiful young woman with dark brown hair and the same big, brown eyes as me. According to my parents, we looked like twins, but I could never see it.

My mom began to tell me about Carter's first major heartbreak that happened a few days back. Her boyfriend, Luke, was cheating on her with her best friend. Basically, what usually happens in the movies, was how I put it.

As my mom continued to tell me about the horrible boy, I was beginning to wish I was home again so I could sit down with Carter and tell her secrets about boys. That's what older sisters are for.

My heart sank when I came to my senses that Carter and I never really got to know each other. She was born about three years after I was kidnapped. Therefore, I never had a real conversation with her.

My smile was vanished. "Tell her that boys are nothing but trouble, and to stay away from them."

My mom laughed, "I'll make sure to tell her that Sky."

After that, we said our "goodbyes" and our "I love you's" and I hung up the phone.