Chapter 8

Forgotten

We raced through the front doors of the fancy restaurant and down the back alley way.

"Niall, are you sure this is safe?" I yelled over the loud sound of all the cars driving.

"Being safe isn't our first priority. We gotta get back before they close the gates!" Niall yelled over his shoulder.

That's another thing about Grant; they have huge gates that lead into the campus and they're supposed to be closed at midnight but they usually get shut about a half an hour later or so.

Once we reached the open gates, we both let out a long, tired breath.

Niall, still holding my hand, led me through the large gates with a relieved smile on his face.

"We made it." He whispered under his breath.

He led me cautiously through the campus, making sure we didn't awaken anyone. If someone were to report us, we'd be working in the kitchen in no time.

Niall walked me back to my room, still being quiet and careful.

We both jumped when we heard footsteps behind us. We froze in our tracks and saw a light, casting our shadows onto the ground.

Behind us stood our principal, with a flashlight. Next to him was a patrol officer, the one that is supposed to close the gates at midnight but fails miserably.

We stood, face to face. My grip on Niall's hand loosened, and soon enough, my hand was by my side.

Principal Westing took a step closer, shining the bright light in our faces. "You two know it's past curfew, right?" He had a blank expression on his face.

Usually, Principal Westing is a very loving man with a ton of patience. He was one of the reasons why my mom really wanted me to attend Grant, because he seemed like such a good man. And also because of this, they are strict and have rules laid out for every student body to follow and if you don't follow them, then the consequences will make you think twice. It bothered me but that's because I'm just a kid I guess.

Niall nodded his head at Principal Westing's question. "Yessir."

"Niall, Skylar, meet me in my office tomorrow morning. Eight o'clock."

We both nodded as we watched our principal walk away with the patrol officer.

Silence filled the air and I quietly walked into my dorm without saying goodbye to Niall. I was too ashamed with myself.

If Principal Westing makes us work in the kitchen, I don't know what I'll think. The working in the kitchen isn't the bad part, it's the guilt that hangs over you like an awning.

I tore off my winter coat, angrily and hung it up on our coat rack right beside the door.

I kicked off my wet boots, from the snow, and kept them where they landed.

Anger took over my body and I stomped my way to my room, quietly shutting my door because I still didn't want to awaken Celine, who was probably wondering why I was home so late.

Sleep wasn't on my mind all night, guilt was. How could I be so foolish?