Chapter 18: Siblings Fight

Chapter 18:

"Tris, get up," Tobias says softly.

I groan and roll over.

"We're going to do the final cuts for the initiates," he explains.

I sigh, "Do I have to?"

"Yes," he says sternly.

I groan and quickly throw on a black tank top and matching stretchy pants. I also put my hair in a high ponytail and apply eyeliner within five minutes.

"Ready," I say.

He nods and takes my hand, dragging me to the training room. Once we get there, Tobias explains that there will be only five people that make it into Dauntless, the rest would be factionless. Great. Because we need more factionless.

"Tris," he whispers, "say the first name."

"Right," I whisper back. "Ranked number five, Joseph!"

Joseph flashes a cocky smile and high fives his friends.

"Number four," Tobias announces, "Kirsten!"

Kirsten's face lights up and Noelle rages.

"I beat her! That is not fair!" She screeches.

We all ignore her and move on.

"Number three is Tom!" I call.

He laughs, relieved.

"Two! Nicole!" Tobias yells.

Her group roars. She gives me a smirk.

"And ranked number one," I start, "Ben!"

Ben yells and smiles, obviously surprised.

"Anybody that didn't get their name called, follow Deron--the man in the corner-- out," Tobias says.

I pat everyone's back as they leave. Tobias shakes his head at me, as if saying, don't do that. I nod and walk over to him.

"Tris, I have to go turn in the roster to the boss. Hand out the room keys and send them off."

I nod and start handing out the keys to everyone. I reach Nicole and I see that her compartment is next door to mine and Tobias's.

"You never thanked me for saving you," she snaps.

Everyone has cleared out by now.

"I did thank you," I say back.

She slaps me across the face. It stings.

"You will be kicked out and be with the factionless if you pick a fight with an instructor," I say calmly.

She makes a growling sound and sweeps my feet out from under me. She turns on her heel and stomps out.

"I should've been number one!" She screams as she leaves.

I stand up and brush myself off. Falling on concrete hurts. I sigh and follow her out.

"Why are you following me?" She asks.

"Because my compartment is over here," I say quietly.

I walk ahead of her and fling open the door to my compartment, slamming it shut, making sure Nicole hears it.

I decide I want some lunch so I walk to the cafeteria and stuff myself with beef stew and a dessert of cake, Dauntless cake, of course. I take an extra piece for Tobias and head back for the compartment. I take a detour and go to the chasm. People are gathered around someone, or something. I shove my way through the crowd, worrying if Tobias is in the middle.

I finally reach the middle of the circle and see him, my Tobias, on floor. He doesn't move. He chest doesn't rise or fall. I try to scream his name, but I have become mute. I collapse next to him and pound my fists on the ground.

I find a note next his body.

Tris:

This will be you soon.

-Your loving brother Caleb

I scream profanities and try to get Tobias to breathe again. It doesn't work.

"I am a doctor!" I hear someone call.

I sob and move aside.

"S-Save him," I cry.

The man nods and gets to work. I watch as he desperately tries to restart Tobias's heart. As he works, I move right next to Tobias and run my hand through his short brown hair. The man gasps and Tobias coughs.

"Tobias!" I screech.

The people in the crowd gasp.

"Tris," he whispers weakly.

"Yes, yes I'm here," I say softly. "Who did this to you?"

He mutters something barely audible, but I know what he said.

My brother, Caleb Prior, nearly killed Tobias.

----
AN: did you like it? Actiony chapter! 3k reads!?? Thank you all so so so so much!

You know the drill:

Comment, Vote, And give suggestions!