Chapter 38: The Plan

Chapter 38:

||Tris||

I rise from the couch and pace back and forth, thinking about Caleb. What could he be using that new serum for? He 's up to something. He's been up to something. He wants to torment me and he won't get to. I won't let him.

"Tris," Tobias says softly as he strides into the room.

I look up and see he's wet from a recent shower, his cropped hair glistening. He has a towel wrapped around his waist but I turn away. I'm definitely not in the mood.

"Hey," he says. "Hey, what's wrong?"

He sits on the couch and invites me to sit next to him. I perch on the arm of the couch and stare at the wall. I can't tell him. He won't understand. He'll just worry about me and he has better things to do.

I shake my head. "Nothing.. I'm just not really up for it tonight."

He nods. "Really?" I nod. "Okay."

For some reason, I feel like he should've asked me again, been more concerned. He isn't, apparently. He stands, placing a kiss on the top of my head and heads into the bedroom to get dressed.

I exhale a loud sigh and flop onto the couch. I tug a blanket over me and drift off.

--

*obnoxious knock on door*

I jump up, startled by the loud knock. Judging by the light pouring into the room, it's morning. I wrap the blanket around me and trudge to the door. Before I open it I hear the soft cries of a baby. A baby?

I open the door and find a cradle with a baby and a note inside. I swoop up the cradle and take it inside. The child looks just like mine. Like Avaline. Her piercing blue eyes amaze me as she giggles. It's her. My baby is alive.

I pick up the note and scan it.

Dear Beatrice,

You never wanted your child to die, am I correct? Well I've invented this for you, sister. For you. The sad part is, your child will not live forever, unless you give her more serum. For now, she has about three days. She'll live a full life with the right dosage. But here's your problem, sister. How shall you obtain this serum? Am I supposed to send you a lifetime supply free? Of course not. Of course, I'm asking for something in return. Not money, nothing like that. I want you. You will be my sister at my headquarters as you are meant to be, Beatrice. Meet me at the bean for the serum tomorrow and you will come with me after. No tricks, no games. Ill have armed men surrounding us. If you do not show, watch your child die before your eyes.

-Caleb

I gasp. "Tobias! Tobias come here now!"

He rushes in and his eyes widen at the sight of Avaline in my arms. My eyes are about to spill with tears. I hand him the note and he reads it quickly.

"I'll go to the bean. I'll hide while you get the box and I'll kill him," he proposes suddenly.

"Tobias, he has armed men! You'll be shot. We'll both be doomed," I say.

He sighs exasperatedly. He takes a few minutes to think and says, "How about this? You get the serum, get it to Avaline, then go back with him. Soon enough, Zeke, Uriah, Peter, and I can all sneak in to get you out, also killing Caleb and ending this thing for good."

I take a minute for his idea to soak in and absentmindedly rock Avaline. She tugs on my hair, snapping me back to reality.

"Yes. Yes, let's do it."

He smiles. "That's my girl."

We both look down at our child and smile. "She's so perfect," I say softly.

She coughs slightly and her blue eyes shoot open. "Mama," she whispers.

I hold her tightly against me. "Yes, I'm your mama."

I look to Tobias. "We have to do this."

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

School is officially out yeah!!!

So updates yay!

100k omfg yes👌😍😭

I have the last few chapters planned out so this should only be 3-5 chapters longer😭

Thanks loves

Comment comment comment plz comment up a storm. Comment whatever the heck you want I just want you all to be active! :)

Also, please vote! Votes make me look better and it only takes a tap to vote so tap!

Song of the update-

Not About Angels
💕🌸💕🌸💕🌸🌸💕🌸