Caught

Moana's POV

I went in for another kiss to Maui, this time more heated than the last. I hold onto his neck like it's my last hope, and he keeps his hand steady on my waist. We finally pull away and treasure each other's presence. I gaze into his eyes, not believing he actually admitted he loved me. Me, a mortal who can die off while he can have any other demigoddess. He chose me.

"Moana!"  My eyes snap open. Oh man. I look down and see Dad. Maui looks at me with his face hot red.

"Did he-" he whispers. I sigh.

"Yes, he saw us," I say. I expect Maui to shape shift and fly away as a hawk or something to avoid the embarrassment of my father, yet he stays up with me. He squeezes my hand:

"Do you think he'll be okay with it?" Maui asked frightened.

"Yes, because what other father is fine with marrying off his already-engaged daughter to a demigod!" I whisper sarcastically. I let out a breath I was holding and slide down the hale's roof.

"Moana, come down here right now!" I hear anger burning in his voice. I slide down the roof and jump off to the ground, Maui follows in sync.

"What were you doing up there!" He seethed. I dig my foot in the dirt, looking away.

"It was my fault," Maui chirps in. I look up at him shocked.

"Maui? You lead MY own daughter to disobey me? Even when you KNOW she's engaged. Disgusting," my father hisses.

"No! Dad! Maui's just saying that to protect me," I stated.

"Protect you? How could he protect you? I'm your father Moana," Dad inquired. I looked into his eyes.

"Because," I mumble, then my voice gets louder, "that's what you do when you love someone." My dad falls silent and a grave look goes on his face.

"You what?" He seethes and looks at Maui sharply. His hand balled up in a fist.

"I love Maui! I don't want to marry Aisake, my heart belongs to Maui!" I almost yell. I look and see my mother and Aisake running down the trail to my hut. My face is red with anger.

"Moana, how could you be so foolish!" He screams, "Maui is a million years older than you. When you die he will remain young and run off with another woman! Is that what you want Moana? Is it!" Tears threaten my eyes and my voice cracks.

"I will find a way," I say, a tear going down my face, "Not even death can separate us." At this, my dad grabs my arm and shoves me into my hut. He slams and locks the door from both sides.

"This will teach you," he stated, "and for Maui, you are banished from our tribe. If we ever see you in any form, you will be killed immediately, understand?" Maui nodded as my mother let out a loud gasp.

"I'm going to board up the windows so you will not leave. And Maui, I'll give you twenty minutes to say goodbye to your 'true love'" my father puts up some large sticks to the windows. I let out a sob. My mother helps my father put up the sticks giving me a pitiful look.

Maui runs up to the window.

"I'm so sorry," I sob. Maui tries to put his hand through the boards, but only four fingers can fit between them.

"It's my fault. It was my fault to bring you to the roof," Maui put his forehead to the bamboo, "I'm such an idiot." I place my forehead next to his.

"Don't say that, dummy." He chuckles and then turns sad again. I smile and look up to him. "I, I love you." It still feels weird to say that to him.

"I love you more, curly," he smiles. A tear goes down my cheek.

"Pack it up Maui," Dad says. Maui glances me a pitiful look and mouths "bye princess". Then he turned into an eagle and flew off.

"Maui!" I sob, as I fall to the floor crying. How could Dad do this to me?

And I stayed on the floor the whole night, crying.