Theo

“I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.” 
― Helen Keller

I left to the cafeteria a little after Noelle’s parents came in. I didn’t want to make them feel uncomfortable, with some random guy who may or may not want to fuck their daughter standing in the corner of her hospital room returning her stares.

I laughed as I sat down with my plate.

I’m one creepy fuck.

I looked down at my food, picking at the macaroni and cheese. It tasted like glue, so it was still better than the macaroni and cheese my mom normally made.

My phone vibrated. I looked down at it, hoping it was Noelle. I knew it wouldn’t be, but I could still hope.

It was my friend Christine.

Hey, do u have the hw 4 english?

I took a bite of my orange slice and placed it back down on the napkin, wiping my fingers on the edge so I didn’t get the phone sticky.

At the hospital. Best friend’s in critical condition.

I didn’t realize what I had called her until I re-read the message out of boredom.

Best friend. Noelle is my best friend.

My phone buzzed again.

Im sorry! :( but do u have the hw? lol

I finished off my orange slice, wiping my fingers again. The napkin was stained with little drops of juice.

Yep! Just looked in my agenda. It’s: “Read Ch. 1-9 in ‘How To Be a Friend’ handbook and then go fuck yourself.”

I started to think that maybe, just maybe, Noelle was my only friend as well.