Chapter two

hunter

----------------------

Black.

Total and utter darkness.

That was all I could see for what seemed like eternity.

The same images would flash through my brain; a phone flying through the air, a fan, shattered glass, and a picture of a beautiful girl with chestnut hair.

I felt that the girl was important to me somehow, and I spent most of my time in darkness trying to figure out who she was.

One day, I started to hear voices.

I couldn't make out full conversations, but I was able to hear random parts of it. Like

"in a coma for eight weeks" or "lucky he's alive" or even "does he know they're dead?".

Now I wasn't sure who had died, but I was pretty sure that by 'he' they meant me. So that's what I was in. A coma. That would explain why I couldn't seem to wake up.

Eventually I drifted into the world of blackness, that held pictures that I still can't seem to understand.

What felt like a couple of days later, I saw light.

Real actual light.

My vision cleared more and soon I was seeing shapes and colors. I was in what appeared to be a hospital room.

"Hello?"

my voice cracked, and I could barely hear what I even said. But there was someone in the room and they must've heard me, because they whirled around, their eyes wide.

"Doctor!" They shouted, "he's awake!"

Soon a short, bald headed man stumbled into the room.

He looked me over real thoughtfully.

"Hunter, your finally awake."

I didn't realize he was talking to me at first, I didn't recognize the name.

"Who's Hunter?" I asked, "Is that supposed to be me?"

The doctor's face paled, and he whispered something to the nurse, whose face also paled and she quickly left the room.

The doctor coughed nervously.

"That is your name after all Hunter. Hunter Hayes, famous country-pop singer. Ring a bell?"

I shook my head. Was that really who I was? Was I really famous?

"Do you remember how you got here? Think really hard Hunter, it has to be in that brain of yours somewhere."

I thought really hard, but all that came to mind were those images from my days in the dark; a cell phone, a fan, shattered glass, and a picture frame with a beautiful brown haired girl.

"I have no idea."

The doctor took thats as his queue to explain.

"Well you were in a tour bus with your band mates. Then, you were rammed in the side by an eighteen wheeler and the bus flipped, leaving you in a coma for two months, three weeks, and four days."

I let the story sink in. I could see where the broken glass would fit in, but what about the phone and girl? Just then, the nurse returned, followed by a beautiful girl with brown hair. She resembled the girl in the picture, but this one looked as though she had been crying recently.

She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw me.

"Hunter!"

She ran over and pressed her head against my chest.

"I've missed you so much," she whispered.

When I didn't respond, she sat up quickly.

"You do remember me, right? Your girlfriend, Britney, who you've been dating for two whole years,"

Her voice was starting to sound panicky, and I saw more tears come to her eyes.

I slowly shook my head.

"I don't know you, sorry Britney,"

She started bawling. She turned to the doctor, pointing at me.

"He called me Britney, don't you understand? He would never call me Britney, only Brit. He really doesn't remember!"

She started to cry harder.

"You lying cheating bastard, why didn't you tell me? Why didn't you warn me about this? I bet you knew," she screamed, hysterical now.

Some nurses gave her a shot and carried her to another room.

I could still hear her screaming.

I turned back to the doctor, who at this point looked very concerned.

"I don't understand why she was crying. I only called her Britney."

------------------

opinions?

Don't forget to vote and comment!

- catherine x