chapter seven

Hunter

--------------

I realized that I had ruined whatever sort of moment Britney and I were having, and I felt kind of bad about it. So I tried playing up the romance card to make up for it.

"Sorry Britney, I'm just a little stressed right now."

I pulled her back to me, and connected my lips to hers. For me, I could consider this our first kiss. I don't remember how the actual first one went, but I'm hoping this felt as special as it was for me to her. Everything about it felt right, and I got this feeling like this had happened before. Wasn't it called déjà vu?

Suddenly, my brain was filled with an image of me sitting on the hood of a car watching firecrackers burst into flames. My arm was around Britney, and as I watched, I leaned into kiss her. I was snapped back into reality seconds later.

My eyes shot open and I quickly broke away.

"Britney. What was our real first kiss like?"

Without a moment of hesitation, she told me.

"We were sitting watching the fireworks on the roof of my truck when one if your songs started playing on the radio. We both started singing along. When it was over, we both just looked at each other and then you leaned over to kiss me. That was two years ago. Why?"

She looked off into the distance, as if she was picturing the moment itself in front of her. A smile broke out onto my face and I hugged her so hard I was almost sure I heard some of her ribs crack.

"I think I just had a flashback to that or something. It was exactly how you described it!"

"Ow Hunter, I think you're breaking my ribcage," she gasped,

and I quickly let go.

I immediately got up and started pacing the floor.

"Do you know what this means? It means there is still hope for my memory to come back."

I couldn't stop smiling, and I could tell that she wasn't sharing my excitement.

"Aren't you happy for me Britney?"

She quickly smiled. "Yes of course I am! It's just that I don't want you to get your hopes up too high. We don't know how or why it happened. And it may not happen again."

She was absolutely right. We didn't know why it happened. And it might not ever happen again. But there was this part of me that believed that this wasn't a one time thing, and it could, and it would happen again. I wasn't ready to give up this easily.

"Well I'm letting my hopes up. It's like what you said earlier, where do all those memories go? They can't just leave your brain."

She looked me over, deciding what to think.

"Okay." she finally said.

"Okay what? Is that all you're going to say?"

I was getting annoyed. She could give me all these reasons why I shouldn't have hope and then she just gives up her argument that easily.

"Yeah, it is. I'm going to support you like you supported me when I was going through a hard time in my life. It's as simple as that."

It was left as that, a silent agreement between the two of us.

The rain let up a few hours later, and Britney left, leaving me to the silence of my thoughts.

--------------

this is taking way too long

vote & comment!¡

- catherine x