chapter eight

Britney

-----------------

The drive home was a quiet one.

It was dark outside, and the streets glistened from the rain we had earlier. My mind ran through today's events. It was honestly a little unrealistic. I didn't want Hunter to get his hopes up, but he supported me, so I knew that I had to support him.

That's what I was supposed to do, right?

I was so busy thinking about everything that I hadn't realized that it had started to rain again. Soon I pulled into my driveway, and made a run for it into my house. Of course I had forgotten my umbrella. The rain was coming down in buckets, and I heard thunder rumble in the distance.

I hated living alone.

I used to live with Hunter until he went on tour, and I was planning on going back with him until the accident happened. The house was eerily quiet, and I went up stairs to get changed into my pajamas and get a shower. It was still early, but I wasn't planning on going anywhere tonight.

I closed the door behind me and turned on the hot, steamy water, letting myself relax. I didn't realize how tense I was until now. I slid out of my shirt and pants and happened to look in the mirror by chance.

I cringed at the figure before me; scars lined her legs and stomach, only reminding me of what I had went through months before.

Its funny how the mind can choose to ignore things. I had chosen to look past my scars for months, but lately they have been slowly appearing again. Today they were completely there; all the memories had resurfaced, the times I had spent staying up late at night destroying myself, starving for perfection. Skipping meals just to fit society's idea of beauty, time after time again.

Hunter came into my life and helped me through it all, and I started taking his presence for granted. Without him fully here, I was slipping back into the darkness that was calling me.

I didn't realize what I was doing until it was too late.

I had walked into my room and reached for the box on my dresser, opening it and revealing two blades. They had been untouched for months, and I hadn't planned on touching them ever again.

But I kept them anyway.

With shaky hands, I held up the blade. I hadn't even realized it, but I had always been long gone, a mind far from reach.

What happened next I don't quite remember, but my skin told me most of the story the next morning.

-----------------------

another shortie hehe

vote & comment!¡

-catherine x