Chapter 13

Both I and Jake looked at him surprised. Now, that was an unexpected turn of events.

"When I asked her about Annie and she told me she is dead, I kind of... snapped. To be fair, we never got along and I don't think anyone missed her really. I then simply buried her nearby - it was a bit easier than leaving her by the side of the road. People could have figured out she was killed by a vampire and I didn't want to start a vampire hunt. I thought it would be rather inconvenient for my family." He explained.

Snapped. Inconvenient. I thought I might need another ice cream or something. For a moment I was thinking if it was all worth it. I was not even sure what I would do with the crystal. Surely there must have been some other way to solve my problem.

"Is it a problem to access that place?" I asked cautiously. I felt a bit overwhelmed. I wanted to focus on each individual step to keep it manageable. I just hoped we didn't need to dig in the middle of somewhere.

"No, it's fairly straightforward. It is next to the road to West Wycombe. It should be fine."

"So, that's done then. See you on Tuesday. It's the full moon - perfect timing." I started to leave. Jonathan caught my hand.

"What do you mean, see you on Tuesday?" He asked.

"We need the full moon preferably. We can simply meet at the pub after my shift and you can take me there. I assume it's somewhere nearby." The full moon should help with getting close behind the veil to talk to the dead. Or so I heard once. Except I was not sure if it was from my grandmother or the Ghostbusters on the TV. I sincerely hoped it was the first case. I needed also to do some research so I knew what I was doing. Or at least so I could pretend that I did. I was thinking maybe I could get the blood even if I didn't talk to them. Maybe. Something like when you lost a holiday deposit if you didn't turn up.

"If I needed something, how can I contact you?" I asked because it occurred to me that I had no idea how to get in touch with them if needed, while they had surprisingly advanced stalking skills. It was possibly the crystal. I was not sure what it was but I knew it was not a good idea to leave it with them. Vampires should not have those things.

"Take my phone number," said Jake a bit too eagerly. I nodded and he told me his number.

"Great. That's it, then. Anyway, it's time to leave. We are attracting way too much interest here." I said and left them without looking back.

I wanted to think that I had the situation under control. Strictly speaking, I had. I just needed to figure out a few details, but I was sure that they are really just details. I mean, talking to ghost had to be easy, they did it all the time on the TV.

The air outside was fresh and cool. I was tempted to go back through the park. Instead, I decided to walk the direct route, stopping sometimes to smell the trees across the road and to listen to their whispers. The autumn air was heavy with the smell of dead leaves on the floor. All the memories shed lying on the pavement were calling to me. I didn't care if anyone saw me. All they would see was a girl going home a bit drunk to go straight.

I was smelling the air, letting the night wrap around me. Despite everything I felt content. I had to admit, it was nice to feel a bit of magic humming around me again.

"Jane, wait." I heard Jake's voice calling me. He was following me. I stopped - I was annoyed, I didn't want to be interrupted. For me, the evening was closed chapter already.

"What is it?" I asked him when he came close enough.

"I thought I could walk you home." I almost started to laugh. He saw it. Walk me home? Why?

"Ok, I wanted to talk to you. About today. About what happened tonight."

"Jake, listen. Do you know what happened? You ruined my date. So I had a bit of fun dancing and then you sat for an hour in McDonald's quietly eating burgers. You can tell, there is nothing to talk about."

"That's not exactly how I remember it." He jumped in, coming closely. It was too tempting to sort it out once forever.

"That is what you will remember," I said sweetly, feeling the magic flowing from the night through me to him wiping out his memories, bending them to suit me.

It was time to go home. I turned around and walked away. I didn't care if he stayed there standing in the middle of the pavement for longer or he just went back.

a