Chapter 16

When I made it home, Lee-Ann was almost ready to leave, waiting just for me to turn up. She hadn't been out for a date for some time. She always made an effort, though I think it was more for her benefit than her date's. Sometimes it felt that a date was an excuse to wear a flattering smart dress and high heels. This time though she looked that she was really looking forward the evening.

"Anyone I know?" I asked as she was showing me what to serve for dinner. She smiled, so eager to share any details. I was happy to listen, though, that's what friends are for. Plus I hadn't seen her that interested in a long time.

"Well, it's this guy from the office...." Of course, it was him. I didn't know him personally, but she had mentioned him a couple of times over the past few weeks. I pretended I didn't remember. I waited for her to continue.

"Oh, let's see. It is a bit too early." I was thinking that this was probably the most promising guy I had seen around her in the past three years I was living there. I understood what she didn't say. She didn't want to jinx it and there was no need for me to prey. I smiled. I was happy for her. It was nice to see someone around me happy for a change.

"Just order pizza, no need to cook." She finished. I nodded and she left for her date.

As soon as Lee-Ann closed the door, I realised how tired I was. Luckily, I really didn't need to do anything with the children. Thanks god for computer games, I knew that all I needed to do was to let the children play and call them once the dinner was to be served. I knew I should have felt guilty that I was not really trying to do anything with them, but I decided I should really prepare a bit for Tuesday. Plus I was still not comfortable about seeing Jake on Monday. Plus I was probably about to become the best au-pair ever, especially once the pizza arrived. I dialled the number and ordered our usual order. I added some ice cream. Critical situations are always better with Cookie Dough. Ice cream is not healthy but that was not a problem. I was not planning to share.

Suddenly I realised that I really needed to prepare for Tuesday. First of all, I didn't have a shift on Tuesday. A detail I completely forgot. I was not sure how I knew that it would be a full moon, but I was relieved that at least that I got right after I checked the calendar. The situation needed a drastic action I hoped I would not regret later. And probably another tub of ice cream. I sighed and picked up the phone to dial Mark's number.

"Mark? Hey, it's Jane here. Listen, Mark, what about me taking your shift on Tuesday?" I silently prayed he would be so taken back by my offer, that he would not ask any questions. I could hear he was at work for a change.

"Jane?" Mark sounded surprised. I knew that the chance he would not make a joke out of it was very slim. I could have felt him grinning. "Oh, what happened to you having a life? Being mere mortal again?" The bastard was chuckling. I started to count to ten. When I reached 4, I simply replied: "Nope. Just saw an AWESOME dress I HAVE to have. So, cash needed." Wink, wink. I secretly congratulated myself on being a genius.

"Unfortunately, I kind of need money too, you know..." He replied. I underestimated him. I didn't believe him for a moment he was not tempted to just give me that shift.

"But wait," he told me and I could hear him asking Ellen, the other waitress if she wanted to swap with me. That would mean me and Mark working there when Jonathan and Jake came. Not the best combination.

"Yes, no problem. Ellen wants the Tuesday off. Actually, she will take it another time, so don't worry, you will not miss me on Thursday," he said after a short discussion with Ellen I didn't quite catch. Mark, the employee of the month, working three times a week. What was this world coming to... Suddenly I thought I should have use a little bit of magic.