One Shot #55: Homesick

You walk across campus, hoping this time you won't get lost. Your last class being cancelled was the best thing to happen today. Despite that, you dragged your feet all the way back to your dorm. Rowdy rugby players push themselves into the elevator with you. Their accents bouncing through your brain, leaving pings of pain. You push past them as you make it to your door. You hear it open as you scramble to find your keys.

          "Hey! There's my favorite American! We're going out to the pub. Come on, grab your stuff. We'll wait." Your roommate, Louise, screamed with glee. She was your favorite of the bunch. When wandering lost and confused on the first day of semester, she found you and took you under her wing.

           "Hurry up though. Me and Jack have a bet going on who can get the most numbers tonight and I'm ready!" Paul, practically bouncing off the wall, announces. As you move past them into the suite, you see Jack and Emmett sitting on the couch.

           "You guys go on without me. I don't feel like going out tonight."

           "What?" Louise is taken aback and genuinely speechless.

           "She said she doesn't want to go, now come on." Paul says to her. "We'll bring you back an order of chips." He says in your direction. You nod thankfully.

           "But...but it won't be the same without you." She practically whines.

           "You'll still have fun, I'm sure. Don't worry about me. I have homework I need to catch up on anyway." Even you could tell that your excuse wasn't that convincing. Louise just hung her head and turned back around toward the door. Paul dragged her out as Emmett and Jack followed.

     You let out a sigh of relief as you heard the door click. All you wanted was to be left alone. No, what you wanted was to be back in your own bed, crying into your favorite red, worn-out pillow instead of the stiff white one that came with the room. It all seemed to hit you like a ton of bricks. You've been there for almost a month and it's only coming to you now that you're thousands of miles away from home. A whole ocean separating you from your family and childhood friends. Your head pops up when you hear a voice coming from the hallway.

          "Yeah...hold on....I just forgot something in my room. You guys go on. I'll meet you there." You recognize Emmett's voice as he comes back into the suite.

     You stay still on your bed, feigning sleep. You were hoping that he'd find whatever he came back for soon and leave so you could be alone again. Your hopes and dreams were thrown out the window when you heard three little knocks rattle your door. Still, you stayed.

           "I know you're not asleep in there..." He pauses for your response. "Unless,of course, you are..." He says more to himself. Silence falls as you two listen for each other.

           You swing the door open. "Did you forget something?"

           He hesitates. "Um...in fact I did. Do you mind if I come in?" Annoyed, you open the door wider. You turn to him as he plops himself onto your bed.

           "You forgot something in my room?" You lean against the wall, arms crossed.

           "Are you okay?" His tone becoming more somber.