ONE

Credence shuffled an inch forward, and Tina's heart swelled.  Eyes burning, she grinned and uttered a small laugh.  "There... There we go, Credence.  Do you... Do you remember me?" She wondered if the Obliviating Rains had cleansed his memory.  But if it had, why would he have run from her?

       Credence didn't move for a moment, but replied with the tiniest of nods.  Another breathy laugh moved from Tina's throat again.  Credence met her gaze momentarily, looked away, and shuffled forward a few more inches.

     :: Credence's View ::

Credence wondered if he should run.  But this woman would catch him, she could appear in front of him like Mr. Graves had done so many times.  Credence remembered witnessing Mr. Graves materialize in front of him on several occasions, and he remembered wishing that he too would one day accomplish that.  

      So he didn't run.  He didn't push past the woman and bolt, but he forced himself to approach her slowly, not once meeting her warm eyes.  He tensed when he felt her hand on his arm, gentle and solid.  A warmth resonated from her fingertips, and Credence hugged his rib cage with his arms at the feeling.  Breathing shakily, Credence stood in her presence for what seemed like ages until she spoke.

     "Credence..." She didn't seem to know what to say.  He risked a glance at her, and noticed the expression of astonishment hadn't faded away.  "I don't know what to say... But— But we have to get you home." At this, Credence got a crick in the neck he spun his head to look at her so fast; home?  Where was that?  Surely he wasn't taking him back to the place he'd lived with Ma Barebone... No, it was refinished, it was a real church now...  

     "No, no!" the magical woman seemed to have read his mind, or his expression.  Credence saw his reflection in her pupils, and he looked mortified.  "To my home, Credence, my home...  If you want." His breath caught in his throat.  Credence stared, wide-eyed.  This couldn't be true... But what would happen?  Would she turn him in the next day?  Was she tricking him now, and was going to arrest him?  Credence moved away.

     The woman looked frightened at his own nervousness.  "Please, Credence, I won't hurt you.  I'm here to help..." He'd heard those words before.  That man, the man called Newt.  His light hair had been allowed to grow slightly over his light green eyes, in which he harbored a certain kindness that Credence had wanted to swim in.  This woman knew that man... She had to be trustworthy too.