TWO

:: Credence's View ::

"Behave," said Tina, winking.  Credence tensed.  Was she joking, or was she serious?  He had better play it safe, and be as good as was possible.  

      Miss Queenie's personality was as lovely as her looks.  Credence was baffled, though he showed no sign of it, by how kind she could be.  She took his hand as they ventured down the sidewalk, in search for a clothing shop.  A street magician handed her flowers, and Queenie laughed joyfully.  Credence wished that he would laugh one day, too.

      Queenie led him inside of a warm shop, secretly using her wand to clear away the slush on the pavement so she wouldn't have to walk in it.  Credence looked back over his shoulder where the old snow had once been, and now there was a completely dry section of cement, amazed.  

    The bell jingled as they entered, and Queenie looked at it admirably, saying something about how Jacob should have a bell in his bakery.  Credence stared around, his eyes drawn to the only colour he'd ever really worn; black.

     Queenie let him wander around, but he didn't really wander much.  Remembering how Tina had told him to behave, he remained within close proximity to Queenie, taking only one black pull-over sweater off the rack, a pair of black trousers, and another white button down shirt.  Queenie would have none of this.

     "You like black, sweetie?  That's nice, black is a lovely colour," she said, and Credence could tell she was being honest and kind.  "But you do need more than three garments.  Would you like some help?" She questioned, and Credence hesitantingly nodded

     Queenie obliged to his preference of black, and bought him another suit in the colour, a plain white shirt, and a third pair of black trousers.  "I'm sorry, honey, that this is all I can afford right now, but my check comes in another week," she looked to him.  "Do you like these?" She held up the clothing items, and Credence nodded again.  Queenie studied for a moment longer than he would have liked.

    "Oh, Tina was just playing, sweetie," she placed the clothes along with the ones Credence had picked on the counter while the clerk rang them up, and took both of Credence's hands in her's.  "You don't have to be nervous, she didn't mean behave like the Salemer woman did." Credence met her eyes for a nanosecond.  How could she be understanding his thoughts?