Romeo and Juliet Essay

What makes Act 3, Scene 1 of 'Romeo and Juliet' such an important and exciting scene?

I think that this scene is important and exciting because this is when the whole play turns into a light-hearted, romantic comedy to a dark and tragic romance about two teenagers that fall in love that were from opposing families.

The death of Mercutio and Tybalt is quite important because they show the lengths that the two families will go to to protect their family's honour. When Tybalt kills Mercutio, he runs from being caught by Prince Escalus and the authorities, which suggests that he could be cowardly as well as 'fearless'. Ay, ay, a scratch, a scratch, marry, 'tis enough." is what Mercutio says as he denies that his wound is as bad as it was while he was dying. Also, Mercutio is constantly cursing the families of Montague and Capulet because he blames them for his death because of the feud between them. When Tybalt is dies, it's out of revenge from Romeo because Tybalt killed his best friend and kinsman out of pure hate of the Montague's.

The feud between Montague and Capulet is centuries old; it had been passed down through the generations. During the story, no one actually knows why they're against each other and all they know is to protect their own honour. At the beginning of the play, there is a fight between a few of the members of the Capulet and Montague family on the streets of Verona. Prince Escalus stops them with a warning of punishment. Romeo and Juliet meet at the Capulet masked ball which Romeo and his friends intruded on. They caught each other's eye and fell 'in love at first sight'.

I think that Tybalt and Mercutio lead straight to the fight. It starts off with Mercutio messing around and Benvolio warning him that if they don't leave soon that there was bound to be a fight in the heat if they bumped into any of the Capulets; "I pray thee, good Mercutio, let's retire: The day is hot, The Capels are abroad, And if we meet, we shall not scape a brawl, For now, these hot days is the mad blood stirring." Is what Benvolio says to Mercutio to try to get him to leave, but Mercutio is determined to stay because he's in the mood for a fight. When Tybalt arrives, Mercutio doesn't care that he's there and dismisses his arrival. "By my head, here comes the Capulets." Benvolio warns Mercutio. "By my heel, I care not." Mercutio replies. This indicates that he doesn't care about the presence of one of the members of the rival family. "Come sir, your passado." is what I think initiated the fight between them which leads to Mercutio's death. As Mercutio is dying, he constantly repeats "A plague a' both your houses!" which means he is cursing the family of Montague and Capulet for his death because of the quarrel between them which no-one actually knows about.

Last time the Capulet and Montague families fought, Prince Escalus cautioned them with a punishment of death: "If you ever disturb our streets again, your lives shall pay the forfeit of peace" is what the Prince says after the fight. I think that the reason they choose to ignore the warning is because the hate for each other is so strong that they will disobey the highest authority just to have a fight with the rival family.

The mood at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1 is quite relaxed and care-free; Mercutio and Benvolio are talking about how Benvolio can be quite argumentative at times just like Mercutio can be. However, when Tybalt and his followers arrive, the mood turns serious and a little bit dark. Mercutio and Tybalt are up for a fight. Tybalt wants to fight because he saw the Montague's at the Capulet ball and Mercutio wants to fight because he despises the Capulets just that much. It tells you that their personalities can change in different situations. Sometimes the characters will be cheerful and enjoying themselves, then they would turn soulful and brooding and suddenly they would turn revengeful and angry. Their personalities vary in many different ways depending on the scene and how they feel. Mercutio forces the argument on Tybalt. He starts to taunt him by saying "Consort? What, dost thou make us minstrels? And thou make minstrels of us, look to hear nothing but discords. Here's my fiddlestick, here's that shall make you dance. 'Zounds, consort!" (Mercutio deliberately mistakes Tybalt's use of consort) Though, Tybalt is only interested in Romeo "Well, peace be with you, sir, here comes my man.", but Romeo is not disposed to squabble with his wife's cousin "Tybalt, the reason that I have to love thee. Doth much excuse the appertaining rage. To such a greeting. Villain am I none; Therefore farewell, I see thou knowest me not." Mercutio takes up the quarrel on Romeo's behalf for no reason other than that he is petulant. Mercutio and Tybalt fought because he had challenged Romeo to a fight but Mercutio knew that Romeo was not strong enough to fight Tybalt so he took the burden of fighting Tybalt and he eventually dies when he is stabbed by Tybalt. Romeo had ran out to block the fight and Mercutio got injured. Tybalt leaves, as not to get caught by the Prince. He is then slain by Romeo. Benvolio doesn't get involved because he likes to keep the peace and his name means 'good- will'. Many trust him because of his kind nature and that he will speak the truth no matter the consequence. Romeo also doesn't get involved because he is now related to Tybalt because of his marriage to Juliet and he now has to respect Tybalt as if he was his blood relation.

Mercutio is stabbed during the fight between him and Tybalt under Romeo's arm because Romeo tried to stop the fight by stepping between them. As it was mentioned earlier, Mercutio is cursing the families ("A plague a' both your houses!") for his death because he blames them because of the distant quarrel between them. Romeo then ventures out to find Tybalt and take his revenge on him for killing Mercutio. When he finds Tybalt he says to him that someone must pay for the life of Mercutio and says that either just him or both of them must die "Either thou or I, or both, must go with him." Tybalt says to Romeo that he was the one that was his friend and so he must be the one to pay the price of his death "Thou wretched boy, that didst consort him here, Shalt with him hence." Romeo replies with "This shall determine that." Romeo and Tybalt fight until Romeo eventually kills Tybalt. Benvolio arrives and tells Romeo to run, to go and to escape from being punished by Prince Escalus. "O, I am fortunes fool." Romeo cries, which suggests that he thinks that he is being controlled by his fate and that everything has gone wrong for him.

The Prince, Lady Capulet, Lord Montague and others enter the scene. The Prince asks Benvolio what happens which shows that he trust Benvolio with the truth. Benvolio explains the situation:

"Tybalt, here slain, whom Romeo's hand did slay.

Romeo, that spoke him fair, bid him bethink...

Of Tybalt deaf to peace, but that he tilts

With piercing steel at bold Mercutio's breast,

Who, all is hot, turns deadly point to point,

And a martial scorn, with one hand beats

Cold death aside, and with the other sends

It back to Tybalt, whose dexterity

Retorts it. Romeo he cries aloud

'Hold, friends! Friends apart!' and swifter than his tongue,

His agile arm beats down their fatal points..."

After Benvolio has said this, Lady Capulet accuses him of lying "He is a kinsman to the Montague, affection makes him false, he speaks not true." Because he is part of the Montague family and believes that he cannot be trusted by being biased and unfair.

In conclusion I believe Act 3, Scene 1 is a very important and exciting scene because of the change of how the play goes from a happy and loving romance to a tragic and fatal death of two love-blind teenagers all because of a quarrel that had begun many, many years before them. Also, you see change in some of the characters' personalities. The entire ending could have been different if the fight had been different and it would have carried on being a happy, light-hearted romance. The families may even have forgiven each other and become friends because of Romeo and Juliet, then the streets of Verona would've been safer and everyone much happier.

The story teaches us that violence and hate isn't the best way to sort things out which should have been resolved a long time ago and that even the smallest things that are apart can bring something together in harmony. It also teaches us that fighting usually leads to worse consequences and hurt. However it also teaches us that people will go to extreme lengths to protect something they care for even if it's not as important as other things like family, friends, peace, happiness and many other things. Romeo and Juliet can teach us many life lessons, but Act 3, Scene 1 has the strongest and probably most common message of all: Violence is never the answer.

Written: 2013, 14 y/o