Chapter 6: T.J.

“It was the wrong drug,” I said and Dead glanced up.

“What?”

“It was the wrong drug,” I repeated and she shook her head.

“Last time I checked, it was the right one,” she whispered and I hugged her.

“It’s not your fault. We all make mistakes,” I said.

“I never get the drugs wrong,” Dead mumbled and I sighed.

Gerard placed his brother on the lounge in the middle of the room and I felt Dead stiffen. The others appeared and Oscar placed a hand on my shoulder.

“Is he still a Drac?” asked Frank and I nodded.  

“Um, excuse me?” came Graces’ voice and we glanced at her.

Her cheeks filled with a slight blush and she shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot.

“Um, I think it’s time to take back Battery City, slowly of course,” she mumbled and everyone nodded in agreement.

“How do we do that?” Gerard asked the ten year old girl and she looked at me.

“We pretend we want to become a part of Battery City,” she said and I frowned.

“But to do that, we would have to- Oh My God. Grace. You’re a genius,” I smiled and her face broke into a grin.

“I use to think so,” she said.

“You still are,” I retort, ruffling her curly mane.

My sister glared at me and smoothed down her hair. Mikey moved and everyone turned their head to look at him.

“No,” he whispered. “L-leave her……Now.”

He started whimpering and I stood up, but Oscar tightened his grip on my shoulder.

“Teagan Jane?”

I flinched at my full name and watched as Mikey’s hands clenched tightly. Slowly walking over to him, I ignored Dad and curled my hand over his, rubbing my thumb in circles over his soft pale hand. His hand slowly unclenched and I smiled down at him.

“It’s okay, I’ll help you through this,” I mumbled and slowly the corners of Mikey’s mouth rose slightly.

“Dead, can I talk to you for a minute, please?” Gerard piped up and I heard footsteps fading.

“Guys, I think it’s time we went back to the Diner,” Mum said and I glanced at her. “It’ll be in everyone’s best interest.”

I smiled and nodded. Oscar, Dad, the four little girls and Jamia nodded in agreement but Frank, being the stubborn one, crossed his arms.

“Why don’t we just stay here and forget about the company?”

“Frank,” I snapped. “It’s almost like you are part of the company and you are telling us to stay away from it like it’s a good thing. Which side are you on?”

“T.J. just stay out of my business,” he mumbled and I crossed my arms.

“That’s what I thought,” I whispered and a scream filled the restaurant.

Gerard emerged from the kitchen with Dead on his back. He was rubbing his ear and Dead was looking ecstatic. Her smile lifted the awkward atmosphere and it had everyone sort of smiling.

“What happened now?” Oscar asked and I caught Gerard’s eye.

“I told she would react like this,” I said, gesturing towards Dead.