Chapter First crimes together

The two boys together started to explore the quarters in search of the kitchens.

They just moved here and there, talking on the way. “So which house are you going to be in, any idea.” said James. “No idea, but my whole family is obviously in Slytherin.”

“Most probably you will break the tradition, you don’t seem a Slytherin type. I am hoping for Gryffindor, where the brave at heart dwell.” He said, taking our an imaginary sword.

“What are you two misters doing here, just before dinner.” a lady stood before them with her hands on her hips.   

“We were trying to find the kitchens, there was no water in our dorms.” James lied smoothly.

“What are your names.” the lady asked. “Sirius Black and James Potter.” James said stressing on their last names. “Ohh, I am very sorry, Mr Potter, Mr Black. Please come this way to the kitchens.”

“As they say, names have power” James said smirking, as they followed.

They went a left and then a right and reached a painting with an elf, a centaur and a witch. The lady moved her hand on the left side of the frame and the painting opened to reveal a number of house elves bustling around, making dinner.

“Pipit, serve these sirs and provide whatever they need” turning to them she said “I will request you to come near the dining hall in fifteen minutes, just down the hall for initiation.”

“We will be there, Thank you.” said Sirius, charming as ever.

They moved into the kitchen and a dingy looking elf said, “What can I provide you with, good sirs.”

“What will you be serving for dinner today?” asked James politely. “Roasted chicken, pork chops, boiled potatoes, peas, carrots and gravy. For pudding there and treacle tart and apple pies.” said the elf.

“Please give me some salt and where are the puddings kept?” asked James to which the elf turned and walked to a table at the other end where treacle tart and pies were kept and he also provided the salt went away humming when asked to .

“Let’s start” Sirius said “How do you know what I am going to do.”

“You asked for salt and pudding, also with the dung bombs bag you had in your hand in the dorm, you are a prankster. For merlin’s sake, you are not going to dance around the puddings with a salt shaker on your head so it is pretty obvious what you will do. Let’s start or we will be late.”

They completed their work and exited the kitchen and walked to the end of the corridor.

They found at least twelve students lined up at the gate and joined the queue. Exactly at eight the gates opened and they entered into a hall with a long table and fifteen chairs.

Miss Clarisse La Rue asked them to choose a seat each and sit down; they would be joined by Miss Warrington soon.

As soon as they all settled down Miss Warrington walked through the gates gracefully and sat down at the head of the table.

“Good Evening everyone. I am as some of you know Susan Warrington, the head of these classes.”

The employees bowed their heads in recognition as she continued. “You all have been sent here for some preparatory time before going off to your own different schools for education. The studies are very important but as are our manners. You have entered these halls as just children but will leave as gentlemen and ladies.”

The employees clapped politely and the students followed their lead. “We will begin the feast and then you will be introduced to the staff, please begin.”

As soon as she said that food appeared on their plates and they began to eat. James said “She seems like a nice lady you know. But I am sure I will not make it out alive. My mother forced me to see the memories of her classes here. Horrible. We have to use the big spoons for soup, the middle one for normal eating and then the smallest one for deserts. I don’t even know why I remember this.” He ended with a bewildered look on his face and Sirius replied “ I don’t care which spoon I use for eating but I am sure I will be using none for the pudding.” And smirked. “But I think we should take some in our plate but not eat it till everyone has begun. It will seem less suspicious, you know.” “Good idea.”

The plates cleared off and the puddings appeared. Sirius and James took their time in plating their deserts. As soon as the people staring putting spoons in their mouths the effect came into view. It was a very amusing sight, first their expressions changed to confusion then disgust. And finally some weak ones put their hands to their mouths and ran out of the halls in search of a place to throw up. They barely controlled their laughter and pretended to just put their spoon on their plates and sit.

When the commotion died and the students returned to their seats, Mrs Warrington called the house elves and started. “You all have today brought shame to this institution and I have nothing more to say than just give you clothes.” These words had an instant effect and the house elves all started wailing.

 Seeing this sight made the pranksters’ eyes go wide in horror and they looked at each other and made a silent decision. “Don’t do that Mrs Warrington.” Sirius said as he was the more mannered one. “I am sorry to interrupt but they have nothing to do with this.” “Yes.” James took up the speech “it is us who are responsible for this..  erm… tomfoolery. This was just supposed to be a harmless prank.”

Through this everyone had gone silent and Mrs Warrington asked, “May I ask what is your names.” “We are Sirius Black and James potter.” Sirius replied for both of them. “Ohh, Yes of course, I met you didn’t I. Mr Black and Potter I would request you not to do anymore harmless pranks which may or may not danger the health of any of the students” she said sternly but a little nervously as she absolutely did not want to offend a Black or Potter for that matter and then continued more strictly. “If any of you are caught in any such activities, it will not be perfectly pleasant. You may all now go to your dorms, you are dismissed.”

They went to their dorm pleased not to be punished and happy to have found a nice friend each. They both had the same thought their minds “This may not be as bad as they thought."

A/N Plz vote, comment and recommend. ..