10: Funeral

And there I stood in a black dress infront of a mirror. Today was the day .
Bryces Funeral.
Underneath the dress I wore black thighs and black high heels. My hair was in a ponytail and my make up was decent .
It has been a week since I was informed that my brother fell in war and a week since I distanced myself from my suroundings all over again . And a week since I have a letter from my brother that I have yet to open.

I got into my car and drove to the graveyard the funeral was going to take place at. When I arrived I stayed in the car for a while. Taking a deep breath I got out of the car and went towards the crowd that was standing around my brothers grave. I went through the crowd and sat down next to my younger sister,Amelia, on a chair in the front row, next to her there was also my older brother Brendon seated.
The rest of the crowd was standing and the priest was holding a speech. I grabbed my little sisters hand as my brothers commander was in turn of giving a speech about my brothers service to the country.
The only thing I coud do was stare at my brothers grave. I did not try to focus on what the commander was saying but I did notice the salute of the soldiers. There were some more people saying things about my brother and all I did was blend them out.

The day was filled with people telling my siblings and me how sorry they were for our loss and that they knew how we must feel at that moment... yeah, as if.
I realised that the comissioner, Danny and Henry were also attending the funeral and I also noticed that they saw me, they must thing I am some really close friend of the family.

Brendon and Amelia walked with me to my car, we all knew this would be the last time in a while we see each other. Amelia hugged me and I returned her hug.
"Gotta stay strong honey alright? "I tried to give her a smile but I clearly failed.
She nodded " I miss you, Rose.." she was on the verge of crying.
"I miss you too."I kissed her forehead before I hugged my big brother.
"You better take care of yourself, Rose.." He hugged me tightly.
"I love you.."I whispered.
"We love you too" he told me and before I got into the car Brendon kissed my forehead and I saw henrys and dannys eyes on us.

I stood in the middle of my apartment when I looked at an old family picture, I grabbed it.
They all leave.
Without thinking about it I threw the picture against the wall. Tears were welling up in my eyes as I took everything that came to my hand and threw it around. I started to punch the wall until my fist slammed against a mirror making it shatter. My hand was bleeding and I could see glass pieces in the cuts on my hand.

"Wait for a moment and a nurse will be with you in a bit." The nurse smiled at me before she left me sitting on a hospital bed.

Linda entered the room, smiling at me. "Hey Linda" I tried to smile back at her. "Rosanna, I really wish we would have met again under other circumstances.."
"Yeah, me too." She started cleaning up my hand, taking the glass out.
"So how exactly did this happen to your hand?" She askef curiously.
"I kind of punched my mirror." I shrugged. She gave me a confused but worried look.
"That happens to me all the time you know?" she sympathised with me smiling. I chuckled.
"I am done with your hand and friendly advise; get a punch bag." she winked at me and I laughed slightly.

As soon as I was in the car my thoughts went to Bryce. And what is the best thing to do when you are trying to forget something? You drink.

"Three shots" I told the bartender.
"There you go"
"Thanks" I drank all three glasses right after the other. I gave the bartender a look making him pour more alcohol in the glasses.
"Hello there pretty lady."Some dark haired guy talked to me. I gave him a bored expression and drank out the first of the three glasses.
"So what is your name?" He flirted with me. I took another drink.
"What do I have to tell you to make you stop trying and go away?" I asked the guy and took the last of the three shots. The bartender poured more into the glasses. The guy sighed and went away to his buddy who was chuckling at him. I got Bryces letter out of my bag. Maybe I should finally open it.
I drank the glasses whilst playing with the letter in my hand.
"What happened with your hand?" I looked to the side to find Jamie looking at me. I rolled my eyes.
"I don't know why that would be any of your business."I told him annoyed and went with my hand through my hair.
"Whats with the letter?"
"None of your business." I layed 20 bucks on the table before standing up to go out of the bar.

I wasn't driving, I was just sitting in my car when I finally opened the letter.

Dear Rose,

If you receive this letter, it means I am gone, dead, however you wanna call it.
And you better not be too sad about my death, you have to see the positive side of it; I am back with mum, dad and Daya.
Do me the favour and don't even try to cope with all of this on your own, I know you think you are alone but you need to realise that, wherever you are, there are, for sure, people who love and care about you and I think it is time to let them in. Let them be there to catch you when you fall and help you to stand up.

I am aware of the fact that we never were really close and that we often didn't share the same opinion, but that doesn't influence the fact that you are my sister and all you ever did was to look out for me, I was just to stupid to recognize it.
You most certainly should not blame yourself for anything.

Forget about everything that has happened in the past and all of our arguments, because the only important thing you need to know is that I love you.
Always did and always will, big sister.

Love you, Bryce.

1100 Words