10|| Percy

Percy inhaled the cool, crisp air as they walked to Care of Magical Creatures. It was much better than that stuffy Divination room, with the roaring fireplace and thick scent of... Well, he didn't know what it was.

"Oh joy," Ron muttered from next to them. "Double lessons with the Slytherins."

Jason's face broke out into a grin. "Double lessons with the Slytherins!" He said in a much happier tone than Ron.

"C'mon now, get a move on!" Hagrid called to them as the class approached. "Got a real treat for yeh today! Everyone here? Right, follow me!"

They circled around the small hut to a sort of horse enclosure near the edge of the forest. Percy's heart leapt-- he hoped they would be doing something with horses.

"Now, the firs' thing yeh want ter do is open yer books--"

"How?" A voice inquired. Percy turned to scowl at Malfoy, but he had a valid question. So far, none of them except for Annabeth could open their books. Percy had several scars on his hands to prove of the fact.

"Eh?" Hagrid asked, clearly not getting it.

"How do we open our books?" Malfoy pulled out his copy of Monster Book of Monsters, which was bound tightly with a large cord of rope. Others had belted theirs shut like Harry, or tied theirs like Malfoy. Several people looked in disbelief at Annabeth's perfectly behaving book, then glared at their own.

"None of yeh have been able ter open yer books?" Hagrid asked, looking around. Everyone shook their heads.   

"Yeh got to stroke 'em!" Hagrid waved his hand like it was obvious. "Here," he took Malfoy's. The book struggled and snapped as its rope bindings were removed, then fell still as Hagrid traced a finger down the spine. The students copied the notion and sighed in relief as the books fell open without restraint.

"Oh, how silly of us not to think of stroking them!" Malfoy sneered.

"Shut up, Malfoy," Harry said.

"I-- I thought they were funny," Hagrid said uncertainly to the demigods.

"Oh, tremendously funny! Really witty, giving us books that try and rip our hands off!" Malfoy gave off a harsh laugh.

"Shut up, Malfoy!" Harry said again.

"Righ' then," Hagrid said. "So-- so, yeh've got yer books an'-- an'-- now yeh need the Magical Creatures. Yeah. So I'll go an' get 'em. Hang on..." He strode into the forest and out of sight.

"God, this place is going to the dogs," Malfoy said loudly. "That oaf teaching classes, my father'll have a fit when I tell him--"

"Shut up Malfoy!" Harry almost yelled.

Malfoy sneered. "Careful Potter, there's a dementor behind you--"

"Oh!" Piper had let out a gasp, pointing to the other side of the paddock.

Percy turned and stared. Trotting towards them looked like a horse version of the sphinx- a bunch of animals put together that shouldn't be there. They had the bodies, hind legs, and tails of horses, but the front legs, wings, and heads of what seemed to be eagles. Each of the beasts had cruel, orange eyes and long sharp talons. Around their neck were thick leather collars, attached to a chain which Hagrid was holding.

"Hippogriffs!" Hagrid roared happily, waving a hand at them. "Beau'iful, aren' they?"

"They're gorgeous," Annabeth murmured, and people stared at her like she was crazy. Percy could see it too. The hippogriffs had gleaming coats, changing smoothly from feather to hair. They varied in color too, story gray like Annabeth's eyes, celestial bronze, pinkish roan, chestnut, and Blackjack colored.

"So," Hagrid said, beaming. "If yeh wan' ter come a bit nearer--"

No one seemed to want to. Percy, however, ran right up to the fence, the rest of the demigods along with Harry, Ron, and Hermione trailing uncertainly behind.

"Now, the firs' thing yeh gotta know abou' hippogriffs is that they're proud," Hagrid said. "Easily offended, hippogriffs are. Don' never insult one, 'cause it might be the last thing yeh do."

Percy caught some whispering to his left and saw that Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle weren't listening. They were talking under their breaths and glancing at Hagrid with distaste. Percy longed to punch them again.

"Yeh always wait fer the hippogriff ter make the firs' move," Hagrid continued. "It's polite, see? Yeh walk toward him, and yeh bow, an' yeh wait. If he bows back, yeh're allowed ter touch him. If he doesn' bow, then get away from him sharpish, 'cause those talons hurt. Righ', who wants to go first?"

Percy eagerly stepped forward, but Harry did too.

"I'll do it," Harry said. Percy retreated respectfully to whispers behind him.

"Ooooh no, Harry, remember your tea leaves!" two girls whispered-- Percy assumed they were Lavender and Parvati.

Harry ignored them and climbed clumsily over the paddock fence.

"Good man, Harry!" Hagrid roared. "Righ' then-- let's see how yeh get on with Buckbeak."

The stormy gray one tossed his eagle head at the sound of his name and pierced a fixing stare on Harry.

"Easy now, Harry," Hagrid said quietly as he undid Buckbeak's collar. The hippogriff sauntered away from the others. "Yeh've got eye contact, now try not ter blink... Hippogriffs don' trust yen if yeh blink too much..."

Percy could tell Buckbeak was judging Harry, trying to see if he was worthy.

"Tha's it," Hagrid said. "Tha's it, Harry... now, bow..."

Harry gave a short bow.

The hippogriff was still judging him carefully, trying to see if Harry was good enough. Then Buckbeak turned a single orange eye in Percy's direction. Do you trust this wizard, son of Poseidon?

Percy almost gave a gasp of surprise at the sound of Buckbeak's voice in his head, but he replied nonetheless. Yes.

Buckbeak turned his attention back to Harry and bent his scaly knees in an unmistakable bow.

"Well done, Harry!" Hagrid cried, ecstatic. "Righ'-- yeh can touch him! Pat his beak, go on!"

Harry gently stroked the beak, and Buckbeak closed his eyes as if enjoying it.

The class broke out into applause, all except for the Slytherins (minus Piper, she was cheering along with everyone else).

"Righ' then, Harry!" Hagrid said. "I reckon he migh' let yeh ride him!"

Percy could see Harry was beginning to grow nervous. He gave an encouraging nod and watched as Harry clambered on and Buckbeak launched into flight.