Chapter 19: Best Pal

Dane Jarett’s POV

I hastily grab Kara’s body bago pa man ito tumama sa sahig

I stared at her face with wide eyes 

“Shit Kara  wake up” I repeatedly tap her face but she didn’t respond. 

“tulong! Nurse!” 

 I placed Karas body in the couch besides Vanessa's bed then reached for the red emergency button above Vanessa's head. I was panicking

“Come on” I’m hyperventilating; I just don’t know what to do, then, as if on a cue, several nurses and doctors  came rushing to Vanessa.

I was too shocked to process things, I felt numb, and I just felt somebody assisting me  outside. I stumbled backwards then saw Kara still unconscious laying on the couch I immediately carried her outside.

As I stepped outside the room my eyes met a familiar set of hazel brown eyes, “what happened? Bakit andaming nurses na pumasok? Bakit namumutla ka?” he was asking like there’s no tomorrow and all I could do is to shake my head.

“Sorry pare, S-she just—h-her… “ he interrupted me before I could finish my sentence.

“She what?!” he already raise his voice 

maybe because of his anxiousness.

“She… I...H-her” I lost words. I can’t even construct a simple sentence

 I know that, that simple sentence would change my best friend.  I looked down at Kara. 

i shook my head again then bit my lip while looking up to meet his gaze, he held an expression of  Hurt, fury, distress, and guilt 

He opened his mouth but no word came out from it, he shook his head over and over again...

A tear fell from his left eye; he didn’t even bother to wipe it out. He just sat on the bench in front of her door still eyeing on it, then he finally worked out a sentence. “P-please tell me you’re just joking pre” he pleadingly asks me.  Not a single word left my mouth it suddenly felt dry, I was caught off guard. “I-im so sorry…” I mutter, it wasn’t even audible.

“No..no..no..” he said continually, I wanted to support him but Kara is still on my arms. I just looked up, I know I should have gone to the emergency room to take Kara there but I just couldn’t leave Lukas at this point alone.

I sat beside him then put Kara head on my lap while the rest of her body lays on the opposite side.

Suddenly a nurse came outside from her room.

Lukas quickly stood up

“How is she?”

The nurse seemed to be anxious, then decided to give us a small smile.

“her heart beat stopped a while ago but the doctors are trying to revive her. You’re probably confused why I’m smiling but I’m telling you this, there’s a 65 % of her waking up.”

“and the other 35 %?” I ask her

“I’m sorry but that, 35 % states that she will never wake up, in short she’ll die” she murmur the last part but Lukas and I heard it.

She glances down at Kara who is still laying on my lap.

“a—she lost her consciousness when she heard the straight line” I stated

She just gave me a small smile

“it’s okay if she'll just stay here with you” she said then moved her heels away from us.   

After a deafening silence I decided to talk.

I gulp before I began to speak.

“Remember the day of my concert?” he snap his head toward my direction, he didn’t say a thing so I just continued talking while looking at the wall in front of me.

“Y-you told me about a girl named Van, you told me you love her….but you had other plans and that is to make her best friend fall in love with you” he just looked down back to his hands.

“I undoubtedly remember that you told me her name is KC, you told me that you don’t really love her, but I saw it in your eyes, and your eyes are saying the opposite of what your mouth is telling, you love her.  But not in a romantic way…. I know you love her as your sister. The sister you’ve always wanted ever since.”  I glanced at Kara then removed some strings of her hair that’s covering a side of her face.

“At that time, I felt pity for that girl. I felt pity for her because she fell in love with a dumbass like you. And when I made out the truth? That, my girl, is KC, the one you’ve been playing all along? And you’re the one who broke her heart? I felt fury towards you. Towards my own best friend.”

He bit his lip then he rose his face to my side

“I-..I’m so sorry dane—“ I smiled wretchedly.

 I faced him.

“I know, I know you didn’t mean it. I know because you’re my best pal. That’s why… I forgive you. I forgive you for hurting my girl” I gave him a reassuring smile.

And he gave the same one back, the only difference is, his face is soaked because of crying.

The door suddenly opened and a tall man with a white doctor’s gown came outside.

“She’s awake”