THE EDGE OF TONIGHT

Ella Moss

12/27

Dancing to Apple Bottom Jeans with Dianna and Mandy was very distracting. I didn't have to focus on not showing how Jaxon affects me, how our parents fights affect me, and how school is affecting me. When the next song on one of our old MP3 players came on, the three of us fell on the couch and tried to get our breath back.

"That.. Was.. So.. Much.. Fun.." Diana huffed out and Mandy and I nodded along.

Our dad walks in on us with red and sweaty faces and shakes his head. "You girls are crazy."

I smile at him and stand up. I go to the kitchen and get a cup of water and drink it quickly before getting another. Mom walks in and I lower my cup slowly, feeling ashamed at how fast I was drinking it. She glanced at me coldly and then shouldered past me to the microwave and I just booked it out of the kitchen.

Dianna and Mandy were on their phones and Dad was watching Family Feud. I sat down next to Mandy and watched the show with my dad.

❄ 

When dinner came around, I was finishing writing an essay I probably should've wrote earlier in the break, but I didn't.

I walk downstairs to the kitchen/dining room area and saw spaghetti in a pot on the table. I smile and sit next Dad and Dianna.

Mom breaks the awkward silence by saying, "your dad and I are getting a divorce."

Everyone looks up from their plates, even Dad does he even chokes on a noodle. "What?" He asks and looks at her. She nods and I see Mandy stand up abruptly and walk away with her plate in her hands. Dianna looks between our parents and our younger sister, she heads after Mandy which I follow saying, "you two need to figure this out."

I take Dianna's plate and my own to Mandy's room. Dianna was helping her and smiled when she saw me.

"Hey Mands, what's wrong?" I am quietly and hand Dianna her plate and then start eating again.

Mandy swallows her spaghetti and admits, "I'm tired of their crap!"

Dianna and I nod at that. "We know."

Mandy shakes her head and says more forcefully, "no, I'm seriously done with it. I'm moving out."

"To where? You're only nineteen!" I ask shocked at what she told us. She nods and tells us about an older friend of hers. "As long as they don't hurt you and you're happy there I'm okay with it." I say and sit beside Mandy in her huge king size bed.

"I wasn't that but also to be able to see you when I want to." Dianna tells Mandy and she nods.

"That's fine. I'll let them know later tonight. Can we just watch a movie to drown out Mom and Dad?" I nod and stack our plates on her bedside table.

Mandy puts on a movie from Netflix and turns the lights off before getting back into her bed.

a/n:

Guys, I have to go back to school tomorrow!!!! It sucks!!!

This chapter as written in like an hour, so if there are any mistakes, point them out. Thanks!!