Questions?

Raj

I can't stop the image of Leyla covered in Rakesha's blood from clouding my mind. She had looked so vulnerable, innocent, scared... It was all my fault. I had been so certain she knew the whereabouts of that dickhead of a brother and I had been so wrong. I have never messed up this badly before, sure I've seen drug dealers arrested and some of my dad's men killed but never had I fucked up this badly. The problem is that I can't just let her go. She knows too much, she'll probably run to the police or worse her brother will find her and she'll let slip everything she knows about me and the group. It's for the groups safety that she has to stay. Anyway, it's not like anyone has come looking for her. To say she's supposed to have a 'loving' family I've not seen any pleas for her whereabouts or searches for her. They obviously don't care about her as much as she thinks they do which is strange really... She seemed so certain that they loved her unconditionally and yet here she is a week on from the incident with nobody looking for her.

"Nobody's seen Ajay," Anderson mumbles sitting on the step next to me. I take a chunk from the apple I've been tossing in my hand chewing on it angrily. I can't believe I missed him. I shot Rakesh twice yet I forgot Ajay! I had just seen Leyla trapped against the wall with blood all over her and something inside me just clicked. I needed to check she was okay. I needed to know I hadn't accidentally hurt her. I needed to know she wasn't going to die. As I swallow down the rough chunks of apple I throw remainder of the apple into the air before drawing my gun and firing a shot at it, watching as the flesh splatters in the air before showering down onto the grass in front of me.

"Where the fuck is he?" I ask trying to keep a lid on this sudden found anger. I turn to look at Anderson who hurriedly looks away rubbing his hands over his knees nervously. I stare at him my eyes narrowing. He is acting very suspiciously right now. I cock the gun in my hand before pulling the shaft back reloading it, making Anderson jumpy.

"I think he's gone to Amaan's place," Anderson stutters shuffling on the step awkwardly sweat beading at his hair line. I carefully place the gun next to me, my teeth grinding together.

"He's gone where?!" I shout standing up off the step and trailing my fingers through my hair. How the fuck did I miss it? How did I miss Ajay being on terms with Amaan... Amaan Capri? I had been so sure he was fully supportive of my father and me, but evidently not. I guess we have found the rat in the group. This is how Amaan knew about Leyla. Well, Ajay is going to be enraged that I killed his best friend, so all information is going to be passed on. All the recent deals we have done, any names he knows and he knows quite a few. I pick the knife out of the pocket of my jeans pulling the blade from the pouch before throwing it at the tree closest to me watching as the tip penetrates the trunk, bark flying off the tree. I wish that was Ajay and that the knife had landed straight in his eye.

"How do you know that's where he has gone?" I ask trying my hardest to contain my fury. Anderson stands up, his legs quibbling as his fingers begin to lace and unlace and his eyes stay trained on the ground. I just don't understand how things got this messy. I had sent down some guys as soon as I had brought Leyla from the cellar. Surely Ajay couldn't have known about the secret door? I mean I know he has worked for my father for a while but I still thought the door remained between a few select members? I seriously thought that the punch to the back of his skull had done enough to make him unconscious. He hadn't moved when I lobbed my foot into his stomach. He hadn't made a sound. I swear he was cold out... But obviously not seen as he is now on the run probably with Amaan funding him and protecting him. Luckily Ajay doesn't know where this house is. He just arrived here one day by helicopter and whenever he left it was always in the back of a van or by air. There is no way anyone here is in danger but at some of the other safe houses... They are no longer going to be safe. Amaan will do anything to get me and now there is his sister in the frame. I don't know what came over me that night. I just looked at my gun and felt nothing for it. No passion to hear the gun shot or feel the metal retract and push against my hand. It was like everything I have ever worked for, discarding every single mushy emotion, had unravelled by looking at Leyla's broken body.