02

CHAPTER 2

"heroes are made with the path they choose, not the powers they are graced with."

__________

"CASEY!"

Wanda watched in horror at what she'd done. Her hand slowly came up and covered her gaping mouth and she remained frozen in her spot. The screams of the Nigerians and the sounds of their feet pounding the floor were lost in the shock the teenager was feeling. In the show that all the Avengers were feeling.

Captain America felt his legs sprinting towards the small winged creature falling from the sky. Steve ran as fast as he could towards the building before Ace hit the ground. His heart was beating so fast that he thought it was going to go into cardiac arrest. He didn't stop moving despite the throbbing pain encasing his body.

Ace fell faster and faster until Steve thought he wasn't going to get there in time. He knew he wasn't going to get there in time, but he took his chances anyway.

Steve leaped off the ground and dove forward with his arms stretched out wide. Ace came crashing down into him, forcing the both of them to hit the ground hard. His arms wrapped around the girl's limp body and tried as best as he could to protect her from hitting her head. They both tumbled until one of her wings stopped them from moving.

Steve quickly pulled Ace into his lap and pressed his earpiece. "W-we need fire and rescues on the South side of the building." He tried forming the words with his mouth, but his heat was beating so fast that he could catch his breath.

Steve looked down at the small girl. Her skin was scratched up and she had a bloody lip. Her tank top and the bottom of her pants were torn with holes scattering them.

Steve quickly spoke into his ear piece. "Ace is hurt. We need to take her back."He laid her flat on her back and started gently smacking her cheek, hoping to wake her up.

"What's happening?" Natasha's voice was scared and urgent. "Is she okay?"

"She's not waking up." Steve quickly pressed his fingers to her neck, checking for a pulse. "She has a pulse." He then ripped off her mask and placed his ear over her mouth. A sigh of relief left his lips. "And she's breathing."

Natasha ran as fast as she could to the small outline of red, white, and blue. She dropped to her knees right beside Steve. "Sam, did you getting the paramedics?" Natasha asked as she wiped away the hairs sticking onto Ace's face.

"They're on their way."

"Well make them come faster!" She snapped into the mic. Natasha placed her hand gingerly on the side of Ace's face, shaking her gently to try and wake her up. "C'mon, Casey. Don't do this now."

Steve felt his leg starting to get wet and panic started to take over. "Turn her over." He ordered. "Now!"

"What's happening?" Natasha sounded like she was going to lose it at any given moment. Steve turned Ace over and saw blood seeping out of her tank top from her back. "She's bleeding."