Chapter 1

Beep. Beep. Beep.

As my mind slowly woke itself up, I couldn’t help but be pissed off at the stupid beeping noise I could hear. My body still felt so exhausted that I couldn’t make myself open my eyes to see what was making the horrible noise. Trying to sort my thoughts out as well as trying to figure out where I was. was proving to be more difficult than I first thought. It might have something to do with the annoying beeping. I don’t know what it is, but I could tell something was wrong with me. I didn’t feel right. The best way to describe it would be to say that my mind just felt blank. Empty.  Like there was something I should know but it’s just not there.

 I laid there on the uncomfortable bed for about 10 more minutes, I guessed, still trying to think of what I might be forgetting before I couldn’t take the stupid noise anymore. I dragged my heavy eyelids open but then quickly shut them a split second after. It was so bright, I couldn’t see a thing eve if I tried! It felt like it was burning my eyes. I tried again slowly, squinting more this time. After about a minute of trying to get my eyes to stay open without burning from the light I brought my hands up to rub sleep out of them. My arms felt as stiff as cardboard, like I hadn’t been moving them for a while. It was then that I noticed a small pipe coming out of my left arm, and that's when started to get really confused.

After I got use to moving my arms a bit, I took the time to actually take in my surroundings properly. That annoying beeping sound, which was still screeching at full capacity, was coming from a machine next to the bed I was in. I looked down the length of my slim body to see plain white sheets on the bed and that I was dresses in a stiff and scratchy blue coloured dress. It was probably the only colour in the room. The whole room I was in is white. I thought about it for a while, trying to peice all these things together, and then it finally clicked. I was in a hospital. Why was I in a hospital? I had no idea. I looked to my right and saw a lady curled up and sleeping on a small blue arm chair. She had short dark chestnut coloured hair with a soft wave in it, and looked to be around the average weight. 

 As I slowly pushed myself into a sitting position my head started pounding. I’m not just talking about a small little head ache sort of pain here; I’m talking about it feeling like the New Zealand earthquakes inside my head. I let out a soft moan of pain and put my hand up to my head in hope that they were going to somehow relieve me from the pain that would slowly drive me insane if it didn’t stop. That frustrating beeping sure wasn’t helping anything either. I did realise now that it was my heartbeat, but, they know I'm alive so what’s the point in having it on and annoying people? I went to brush some hair out of my face and accidentally touched a sensitive part of my head. I let out a small shout of pain. It felt like a deep cut or something to that affect.

“Violet?” I heard the woman next to me sleepily mutter. I turned to face her as her eyes slowly began to open. I could see that she had beautiful green eyes now. This was strange though, I didn’t think that nurses or doctors were supposed to sleep in chairs next to their patients... even if it was just to keep ceck on them.

As soon as she saw me properly she became fully awake and alert. “Violet! Honey, you’re finally awake! Oh thank goodness you’re alight! I have to go get a nurse, I’ll be back soon darling I promise!” the woman said in a rush giving me no time to reply. She gave me a quick hug before practically running out the door to go and find the nurse she said she was going to get. That didn't quite make sense though, I thought she was a nurse?

Almost as soon as she shut the door, there was another woman walking in. She was wearing a white scientist looking robe and was holding a clip board smiling calmly as she walked straight over to me. “Violet, how are you feeling?” she asked me in a much more calm and soothing voice then the other woman half panicked, half relieved one. I could see the name badge this nurse was wearin, it read ‘Nurse Margery’. It also has a picture of her sitting neatly above it. She looks quite plump, with dark chocolate skin and short black curly hair.