chapter fourteen

ethan's pov:

Stuck in detention for Mr. Brown's class, again. Break had just ended, he could've been more lenient with my tardy. I mean, I was only late by a couple minutes anyways.

"Ethan? Thought I was the only one dumb enough to get detention on the first day back." A familiar voice says awakening me from my daydream.

I look up from my phone to see Amber sitting down next to me. Perfect. I can persuade her to come with only me to get coffee on Friday. I needed that money.

"Amber, oh yeah, you're not the only dumb one." I say faking a laugh.

"Well what did you do to get yourself stuck here?"

"I was late by like two minutes. The bastard should've just let me in."

She laughs when I said this. "I'm late all the time and never get detention."

"Lucky."

"Yeah, I was passing notes with Grayson during class, so that's why I'm here."

Before I could say anything, Mr. Brown shuts the door behind him, and looks to us both.

"No talking. Stay seated. And don't bother me. You two should know how this goes already."

He was right, this wasn't my first rodeo. I always got detention, but for stupid things, like being late. I wasn't a bad kid, but for some reason Mr. Brown didn't like me.

"Sir yes sir!" I said lifting my hand to my head as if I was in the army.

He rolled his eyes, and sat down at his desk.

I looked over at Amber as she looked down at her phone. Man, she really was beautiful. Her eyes glistened as her phone screen reflected off of them. They were a bright blue color, with flecks of grey towards the center.

We sat in silence for about thirty minutes before Mr. Brown left the room. He did this often, who knows where he goes. Probably to smoke a cigarette or two.

"So Amber, I was thinking maybe we could ditch Grayson and go get coffee ourselves sometime this week. Nothing weird, I just want to get to know the girl my brother is saying he's in love with better."

Her eyes widened. "He tells you he's in love with me?"

"Yeah, but that's besides the point. How does that sound to you?"

"Uhh, I guess that would be fine. I don't know how Grayson would feel about it though."

"Oh I've already talked to him about it." I quickly lie.

I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket, and I pull it out revealing a text message from that guy, Christian.

IMessage 3:45 pm

hey man, anyway you could bring her sooner? i'll be out of town friday.

uhh, how soon?

maybe this afternoon?

that should work

4:30 work for you?

sounds great

thanks again bro 

Read 3:50 pm

"Yeah sorry about that." I said putting my phone back in my pocket. "My mom texted me."

"No, that's fine. I know how moms can be, well kind of."