chapter two

grayson's pov:

Being on the fourth floor, the line for the elevator was understandably long, I mean this was the most highly visited area of the hospital. A little exercise wouldn't hurt me, would it? I wasn't in any hurry anyways. I turned away from the crowd of people at the door of the elevator, and headed towards the stairwell.

As I opened the door, I immediately stopped in the entryway because I could hear loud sobs echoing from the floor above me. Hesitantly, I walked up the staircase, and when I turned the corner, I saw a girl sitting on the steps, with her face hidden, buried close to her knees, crying. I thought for a quick moment, that I could just turn around and no one would know I was there, I could go on down the stairs, but something compelled me to stay. 

Grabbing onto the rail, and placing my left leg on the step above the main floor, I asked, "Hey is everything okay?"

The girl wiped her face, and slightly looked up, but avoided all eye contact. Man she was so beautiful, breathtaking. I didn't know what to say, so I sat down on the step below her, and reached out to grab her hand. "What's wrong?" I asked rubbing my thumb on the surface of her hand. She shook her head, signaling for me to leave. I couldn't just leave her there, that would be wrong of me.

I introduced myself to her, and she gave me her name as well. Amber. I like that name. I think I could get used to it. We both sat in silence, as her sobs got quieter and calmer, the air around us began to empty.

Once she caught her breath, she finally looked me in the eyes, and I got to see those bright blue eyes. She was the girl I ran into in the hallway! That's where I had seen those eyes before. There was something about the tears that hadn't fallen down to her cheek that made her eyes sparkle, and I didn't want to stop looking at them.

Taking a leap of faith, I reached my arm out and wiped the tears that ran down the side of her face, and let out a small smile.

amber's pov:

Gosh, that smile, I could not get over how gorgeous it was. My cheeks began to blush, and I couldn't help but let out a slight smile, although I still was in a lot of pain. He was just distracting me from it.

After several minutes of silent looks, I finally took a death breath, and I let it out, I said, "My best friend just died." Grayson's smile quickly turned into a shocked, deep frown, and he once again grabbed my hand. Man he was a little touchy, but I liked it.

"Oh, Amber I am so sorry. I can't imagine what you're feeling right now, but is there anything I can do for you?" Grayson said looked intently into my eyes.

I didn't want him to leave, it was just nice to have someone there comforting me. I almost expected my sister to run after me, but I guess she was too upset. Maybe she just needed her space, I get that. "Stay." I said quietly looking down at my hands which had mascara stains from me continuously wiping my eyes.

There goes that smile again, seeming wider than before. He shifted around on the step, and appeared to make himself comfortable, looking like he knew he was going to be there a while. "Okay, well let's celebrate the things y'all did together. Think about the positive, you know?" Grayson said shrugging his shoulders.

Contemplating the idea, I told myself I wouldn't start focusing on the negative things, that I would take his suggestion, and think about all the things Brooke did for me, not that things that I would no longer be able to do with her.

"Well I knew her ever since we were born, her mom is best friends with my mom, so we were basically sisters from the start-" Grayson interrupted me, "Hey you don't have to talk about her like she's not your best friend anymore. Just because she left this earth, doesn't mean she has left your heart. Think about it that way."

I smiled once again, and continued, "Brooke helped me get through some really hard times, I'm just really thankful to have her." Grayson nodded his head slowly, and looked to the ceiling for wisdom. I could tell he didn't know what to say. "So Grayson tell me about you!" I said to break the silence. His laugh was so cute, it was contagious. "There's not much to me I guess. I have a twin brother and a sister that's in college. Ethan and I have a YouTube channel that we make videos on and stuff." He said.

He made YouTube videos? That is so cool, I wish I could have the courage to put myself out there like that.

"Aw Grayson that is so cool! I need to check out your channel sometime." He reached his hand in his pocket, pulled out his phone, and unlocked it. Handing it over to me, I looked down and on it was the page for a new contact. I looked up at him as he said, "You should put your number in my phone so we can keep in touch." 

"Oh okay Grayson, you're slick, I see you." I said jokingly. He laughed and threw his hands in the air as if he didn't know what I meant.

 After putting my number in his phone, I gave it back over to him, and grabbed my phone out of my back pocket. It was almost midnight, I'm sure my parents were freaking out about where their daughter was. "Do you have to go?" Grayson asked looking over seeing the time and missed calls from my parents on my lock screen.

I bit my lip, considering the consequences I would have for staying out later than my curfew. My parent were the type to call the cops if I was just five minutes over, maybe I shouldn't stay out tonight. "I think my parents want me home. Thank you for staying." I said as I collected the things that had fallen out of my purse when I first sat down. 

Grayson stood up, and reached his hand down to mine to help me up. I grabbed it, and stood up, realizing how much taller he was than me. I laughed as I looked up to him, he had to have been six or seven inches taller than me. I liked it though. "Why are you laughing? Am I funny looking standing up or something?" He said letting out a small chuckle. I shook my head as I said, "No, I'm just so short compared to you."

 With my hand still in his, he began to move his arm back and forth, almost rocking me with him as he looked into my eyes. I could feel my cheeks getting red, gosh this guy was a charmer.

I didn't want to leave, but I had to or my parents would kill me. Breaking our moment, I said, "I'm sorry, but I have to go." Grayson slowly let go of my hand as I turned away from him. Before exiting the stairwell, I turned back to him and gave him a smile and waved, then shut the door behind me.

grayson's pov: 

 I stood there in the middle of the stairway just looking around, I didn't know what had just happened. Amber was so genuine, so real. I wanted to get to know her so much more. I didn't want to look desperate or needy, but I had to text her.

Me: hey just wanted to let you know it was nice meeting you and getting to know you tonight Amber :) maybe we can hang some other time?

The waiting killed me. She probably thought I was some player that just wanted her number to hook up with her, but that's just not the type of guy I am. 

As I walked out of the hospital, and to my car, there were no notifications that came to my phone. I know she just left, so I'm sure her phone is nearby. Once I got to my car, I unlocked it and sat down, still anxious for a reply. Apparently, she had read it as soon as I sent it, I guess I just got rejected. I placed my phone down in my lap and cranked my car up. 

Right before I started backing out of the parking place, I noticed someone walking towards my car. There were no cars parked out where I was, so this worried me slightly. With my tinted windows, and the darkness outside, it was sort of hard to see the figure getting close to my car. Having no street lights on didn't help me in this situation at all.

I ignored it, and picked up my phone to see I had a notification. It wasn't from Amber. Opening my phone up, I had received a text from Ethan that read, "Hey man when are you getting home? We need to film a video." A knock on the window startled me, and I suddenly dropped my phone in my lap, to see Amber at my window.

 She signaled for me to roll the window down, so I did. "Let me in let's go on an adventure."   

______________

chapter two is done! i hope y'all enjoyed reading it as much as i enjoyed writing it :) chapter three is coming, should be published this next week! 

ily 

amber :)