Chapter Seventeen & Epilogue

"Nah, Troll-face! You go through there and we won't get the ultimate weapon! It'll disappear forever! Give—just give me that!"

"No! You told me I could play!"

I poke my head inside the den. Jason and Tim are on the couch wrestling for a video game controller with a bowl of spilled popcorn on the floor in front them. Should I jump in the fight—and if I do, who should I help?

Hmm... Jason grunts as Tim gets him in the eye with an elbow, and Tim yelps as Jason bends one of his fingers back. Aw heck, I owe Timmy one. I launch myself on top of them, and get Jase in a headlock.

"Yargh!" Jason yells, trying to flip me over as Tim pries the video game controller from his fingers.

"Hah!" Tim shouts, victorious. Jason wails and struggles in my hold and I tickle him under his arms before letting him go. I laugh as Jason grabs me, pinning me beneath him. I use my legs to kick him off, and we roll off the couch into the popcorn, crunching it into the carpet. (Alfie's gonna love that.)

Jason's rough fingers aren't good at tickling, but he tries anyway, and I laugh just because he is. He's back on top of our rumble, and he's flushed and grinning, eyes sparkling. I love that he's so happy. I haven't seen him like this in a long time. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna let him win. I flip him again, but before I can pin him, he breaks my hold and flips me.

"Tim, gimme a hand!" he says, and little traitor Timmy appears, holding my arms, so Jason can sit on my knees.

"Dude, I just helped you!" I complain.

"I owe Jay," Tim says with a smirk and I give him a mock sneer, but inside I'm grinning. Tim's eyes are dancing. I don't think I've ever seen this kid having such a good time.

I feel Jason shifting around and glance at him to see what he's... "OH CRAP!"

Jason's socks are off, and he stretches his Monkey Paws toward my face. Those long toes are reaching for me, and I won't let it happen. "NOO!" I buck him off, but Tim's still got me. I kick my legs up and flip over Tim, bringing him down.

I'm free! I bounce back, dropping into a fighting stance as my little brothers circle me. Damn, they're thick as thieves. When did I become the one to gang up on? They rush me and we all fall on the ground again, tackling and tickling and laughing, popcorn a crispy blanket under us.

"Boys!"

We break apart, staring up at Bruce from the floor. I pick popcorn kernels out of my hair and try not to laugh at Bruce's WTF expression. His blue eyes go from me, to Tim, to Jason, before a tiny smile cracks his face.

"I think Alfred's going to have you all washing dishes this afternoon."

"Uh... I'm not gonna be here this afternoon, I'm going with you," Jason says, brushing popcorn off his collared shirt. I blink and do a double-take. A collared shirt... tucked into his jeans with a belt? What the...?

Bruce eyes Jason. "Not looking like that."

"Ah, come on. It'll just take me a sec to get this popcorn off...and to find my shoes. Dickhead, what'd you do with my shoes?" Jason's glaring at me and I stick my hands up.

"I didn't touch your nasty shoes," I say. Gross. "You shoulda kept them on insteada trying to put your monkey toes on my face!"

Jason scowls at me and stomps around the couch, probably looking for his shoes.