~Chapter 13~

(Imagine her dress is a dusty green/blue instead of purple)

Please vote if you enjoy!

xxx

*Edited*

Tap, tap, tap.

My feet hit the stone floor outside the Hall with a continuous rhythm, only halting when I greet someone or look up from them. He isn't here, yet. I only have a few minutes, they're going to call me down any second to line up for my entrance, but I don't have a partner. Draco isn't here. I look at my transparent reflection in one of the windows that line the corridor I'm waiting in. It's a bit out of the way, so no one will see us too early. I'm starting to doubt there will be an 'us' at all. I stare at my reflection. My hair is tied into an intricate knot at the back of my head, with a select few parts falling down around my face. Weaved in with my hair are sprigs of a white flower, which compliment my dress.

"Clara?" I hear a whisper behind me, calling me from my trance. I turn to see Hermione. She is wearing a layered dress in periwinkle blue, with her hair in a similar state to mine. She gives me an encouraging smile. She passes me, squeezes my arm, and walks slowly down the stairs to the Great Hall. I peek around the corner to see who she's meeting. I have never been more surprised. Viktor Krum. He was beaming, holding his arm out for Hermione to take, she gives Harry a little smile before disappearing into a crowd of other people. I jump back behind the wall when Harry glances up the stairs, praying he doesn't see me. I have to go. I can't wait any longer or I'll miss the brief. I should never have trusted him. Hermione told me not to, they all did. I was stupid and stubborn. I wish I had of just gone with someone else. Neville maybe. I take one shaky breath and step out onto the staircase. Just as I do a hand grabs my arm and pulls me back. I topple backwards in my heels, landing on top of someone. I sit up immediately.

"I'm sorry I'm late.." Winces Draco, "And I'm sorry I pulled you over. Here" He stands up and holds out a hand, which I begrudgingly take. I don't say anything. "Clara please, I tried to leave but the others wouldn't let me until they knew who I was going with and I-"

"Shut up, we don't have time," I say sternly, he looks glumly at the ground. I sigh "It's ok, you're here, that's the main thing. I don't hate you."

"Good. By the way, you look really- er - pretty, tonight, Clara."

"So do you! I mean, you look great, really."

He's wearing a black suit that is obviously well made and probably cost a fortune. It's rather dashing. He smiles, holding out his arm for me to take. I smile. I have acted out this scene in my head a million times over, and it's actually, for once, better in real life.

"Take my arm it's getting tired!" He laughs, practically putting my arm around his for me. I kind of just stand there, giggling. I stop and smile at him,

"Let's go,"

We sort of giggle at each other as we approach the stairs, the reality of the situation dawning on us. Harry Potter's sister, McGonagal's daughter, going to a ball with Draco Malfoy, the Slytherin Prince. We round the corner and my giggle sort of disappears. As we start descending the stairs other people turn to face us, including Hermione and Viktor, and eventually Harry and Ron. Harry's eyes widen and he stifles a laugh. Not in a mean kind of way, but in disbelief. We reach the bottom of the stairs, and Harry gives me a look. I shoot him a warning look back. Professor McGonagal approaches Draco and I, her robes rustling with every move she makes.

"Ah Clara dear! Oh," She stops, her eyes landing on Draco, who I have my arm wrapped around. "Er, Draco, hello." She composes herself and continues, "You will be first in line. Stand here." She motions to the place and we stand there, giving each other looks of excitement and amusement. The other champions and their dates line up behind us. Hermione catches my eye and gives me a sly smile, which I return.