~Chapter 20~

~Please vote if you enjoy xx~

*Edited*

The third task approached much faster than the other two had. The weeks before them had felt endless, up until the last few days when you'd wish the task would never come. This time, though, time passed quickly. Maybe it's because I spent two weeks recovering, but whatever the reason time is passing at a scarily fast pace. Harry has noticed it too. He spends most of his time stressing about one thing or another- What is this task going to be? Am I ok? Does he have any homework?

We're sitting in the common room in relative silence. Two days. That's all the time we have. We haven't done any preparations or research, we've practically just blocked the third task from our minds and moved on. Now, though, it seems moving on is no longer an option. Harry is pacing back and forth in front of the sofa Hermione and I and sitting on. Ron is watching Harry from beside the fireplace. 

"How am I going to do this? What spells can I use? What I really need to know is what that task is-"

"Harry," I say, grabbing onto his arm as he passes me for the fiftieth time, "Stop pacing."

"Why? I need to think! Let me go-"

"Harry, if you needed to know what this task was... Well, there'd be a way for you to find out. A clue or something." I say matter-of-factly.

"She's right, Harry. If it was vital that you knew what to expect then they would have given you the opportunity to find out-" Hermione starts, 

"Who would have, Hermione?! I wasn't meant to know about the Dragon... Cedric told Clara about the egg... We've had help, and that help was against the rules." Harry snaps, stepping away from us and flopping down onto one of the armchairs. "I don't have a chance..."

"Harry stop this. You do. If I had a chance, then you most definitely do. There is no way any of us could figure out what this task is going to be without help, so I'd bet that that isn't important. Keep a cool head, and you'll be ok. Ok?" I say, attempting to reassure him. It doesn't seem to work that well, but he smiles ad nods at me. It should be me competing. I'm fully recovered- well, mostly- and I can't lose Harry. It should be me. I glance up at the clock hanging amongst the paintings on the wall. It's rather old and weathered and wasn't working until yesterday when Hermione figured out how to fix it. It says that it is 3:15. Time for me to go. 

"I'll see you guys at dinner," I say, getting up and straitening my skirt. Hermione, Harry and Ron all look up at me.

"Hey, where are you going? We're in the middle of a crisis!" Ron says gruffly, nodding at Harry,

"I told you I'd see you at dinner," I say to Ron, before turning to Harry, "Try to calm down, Harry, please. I'll go and speak to Cedric and ask if he knows if you'd like."

"I'd like to know where you're off to..." Harry says, slumping back in his chair. I smile and shake my head, turning and heading out of the common room. 

xxx

It always surprises me how the Library never changes- Years and years of students taking and moving and looking through books and yet the place seems immune to change. Every book is returned to its rightful place. Even the dust, which piles up in the corners and hides on top of unread books, doesn't seem to change. As I step into it's dusty, warm interior and sigh, looking around at the countless bookshelves and desks, scattered with dim lamps. The fireplaces that are always burning, surrounded by armchairs, and the dark wooden floors. The air smells smoky and dry. It's a homey smell for me. 

I make my way through the bookshelves and tables, to the magical creatures section. I round the last bookshelf and smile. 

"Hello Draco," I say, grinning at him. He's looking through the books- or reading their spines- and he looks over at me. "What are you doing here?"

"Haha," he says, rolling his eyes and turning to face me, "I'm studying. Can't you tell?"

"Oh yes, but I don't think the titles actually hold that much information, Draco."

"Nonsense! See this book," He points to a book with a dark mottled green spine, "It's called 'A Study on the Habits and Properties of a Unicorn'." 

I roll my eyes and nod at him, 

"So?"

"Well, now I know where to find a book on Unicorns!" He says, grinning.  I smile and walk over to him. We start to walk together among the bookshelves making small talk. 

"I'm sorry we have to meet like this, but Harry's just so-"

"Stubborn? Stupid?" Draco puts in. I elbow him. 

"No more than you- So yes, yes he is."

"How have you been? I've barely gotten a word with you since the second task." He asks, 

"Fine, really. I wish people would stop asking me. I'm fine." I say, folding my arms. I don't like being a damsel in distress, though I have proven to be very good at it. I don't want anyone to think I can't handle myself. I can. Or at least, I think I can. Everyone has so much faith in Harry, what about me? I'm not hopeless. 

We walk in silence for a while, before Draco glances at me and furrows his brow. He stops, and I follow suit. 

"Draco?"

He reaches out his hand and I watch, confused. He places it on the side of my neck and lifts my hair away, I look down.

"Oh no! Oh no oh no-" My silver scars that run around my neck have returned. He runs his finger over one but I slap his hand away. I groan and place my hand on my neck, murmuring the concealing spell Hermione taught me. My scars fade back into my skin. I take my hand away. I look back up at Draco, who looks at me with a pained expression. His eyes, Grey swirls, look at me with belittling concern. Right now I don't want to be pitied. I'm alive and fine

"Are you-"

"I'm FINE."

"No- Are you competing in the-"

"Oh..." I stop, and I sigh. "No... I'm not," I say in a whisper. Looking away. I should be. I could be. I came tied in first place. I should be. 

"Clara," Draco says, trying to get eye contact. I don't meet his gaze. "You can't be perfect, and you can't be good at everything, and you can't compete- Sorry, but there's no way in-"

"But what about Harry?" I croak, looking up at him, "He has to! He can't handle it any more than-"

"This isn't a matter of who can handle what better Clara," Draco groans, "It's a matter of who was almost murdered last time? You. I know you can handle yourself. But sometimes-" He sighs, shaking his head. "Clara you can't be good at everything. Someone tried to kill you. You aren't competing because they almost succeeded. Clara please- Don't get upset over this. You'll get a chance to save Harry one day, and then you'll be the hero. Right now? Just be the damsel in distress, or, if you can't manage that, just be Harry's support."

I nod, giving Draco and half smile and sniffing.

"Ok."

xxx

It's ok guys I'm alive and kicking

Vote if you enjoy!

ALSO OVER 200 VOTES IS INSANE AW GUUUUYYYYS

xx Taylor