Out of the frying pan into the fire

Tuesday, 3rd November

Brooklyn turned round the key in the keyhole and opened the door. "Home Sweet Home, Dan". She smiled, took my suitcase and put it next to the mirror on the wall. I found myself standing in a small corridor with a red carpet and several paintings on the wall. Straight ahead I could see an open door and it looked as if it was the door to my sister's bedroom. On the left there was the entrance to the kitchen which looked really modern, in contrast to the the old fashioned furniture of the flat. I couldn't see what was hidden behind the other closed doors. "Make yourself at home", Brooklyn said to me and hung up her jacket. She took mine and placed it next to hers. "Would you like to have a drink?", she asked. I nodded. Soon she came back with a glass of sparkling water. "Thanks!" I said honestly grateful. "Well, on the left there's the kitchen, as you might have noticed already. On the right, there's the bathroom. Behind the second door on the right there's your room, the guestroom. On the left there's the living room. I know, my flat isn't that big but that's all my husband and I need." I nearly choked on the water ."Husband? What did you say?", I asked slowly, catching my breath again. "Oh, I'm sorry I forgot to tell you. I got married two years ago. His name is Travis."

How could she forget to tell me? "He'll be coming home soon so you'll have the opportunity to get to know him tonight." – "Okay" was all I could say. After a few moments I asked. "How is he? I mean, how is his character? What kind of guy is he?" That might have been an indiscreet question but I was just being curious. "Well, he's quite decent if you don't mess up with him. He can be furious, jealous and rude but all in all I think he's just like all other guys I know. He's worth to be loved." To be perfectly honest, I didn't trust Brooklyn's words. Feelings of uncertainty and distrust came up in my mind. On the other hand I didn't dare to judge about people I didn't know yet. Without any respond I took my suitcase and went to the guestroom. It was pretty cosy, with yellow walls, curtains in front of the window and a tiny television. In the floor there was an orange carpet. I decided to leave my clothes inside the suitcase, as there was no wardrobe in the guestroom. I brought my toothbrush, toothpaste and anything I needed in the morning in the bathroom.

It was half past six when the door opened again and Travis, Brooklyn's husband entered the flat. Luckily I was sitting on my bed at this time so he couldn't see me immediately. "Hey honey I'm back", a loud and strong voice shouted. "Hey, darling, nice to see you again" came the answer from Brooklyn and I could hear how she kissed him. Fellow, be nice to my sister or I'll beat you, I thought slightly angry. Suddenly he noticed the open door of the guestroom. "Hun, why is this door open?", he asked distrustful. "Well, I'm sorry I forgot to tell you, darling that my brother Dan will be with us for some time now. I've picked him up from the mental hospital today. Please be nice to him, he still needs time to recover." I could hear the steps in the corridor and the door was opened. Travis had short blond hair and his body looked as if he was a fitness coach or something. He was wearing a vest and a jeans, although it was cold as hell outside, and I could see several tattoos going down his arms and chest. I couldn't deny that he was handsome, but his way of talking and moving commanded my respect. "So, you must be Dan", he said. The smell of sweat came into my nose and acknowledged my assumption that he was a fitness coach."I'm Travis, nice to meet you." His voice told me that he truly wasn't happy about seeing me. I hoped Brooklyn noticed that as well. " How long are you going to stay with us?". I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm not sure yet. But probably a long time.". He showed no response and just turned round, whispering to Brooklyn: "I'm taking a shower now. Make sure dinner is ready when I come back."

Brooklyn nodded. After he was out of hearing range I said to Brooklyn: "And you are married  to him? What the fuck!". I threw my hands up in horror. "Yes I am, but believe me Dan, it's just the beginning. After he gets to know someone he is super nice to other people. Trust me!" I didn't trust her but I didn't want to show I had another opinion. "Excuse me now please, I have to cook." She went into the kitchen, leaving me alone. Bravo, I thought. Out of the frying pan into the fire.