Back to life

Wednesday, 4th November 2009

Today I got woken by my alarm clock which I had placed on the small table next to the bed because I didn't want to sleep too long. Last night when we had supper Brooklyn told me she wanted to spend time with me, as she had some time off from her job as a waitress in a restaurant called "typing room". Travis said: "Really, Brooklyn, you're wasting time in showing that guy the city. He's old enough to explore it on his own." It was too obvious that Travis didn't like me but I thought it would be better to not cause any argument and keep my mouth shut. Instead I just pecked at my food and thought of an opportunity how to ignore him completely. "Dan, what's up, you're not eating hun" my sister noticed I felt uncomfortable. "It's just..." I began but I couldn't finish my sentence. Travis literally dispatched his food before he left Brooklyn and me alone and sat down in front of the tv on the living room. "Dan, I see that Travis and you don't seem to get along with each other but really, you have to. I love you both and it would break my heart if there was always an uncomfortable atmosphere between you." I nodded.

Without spending time with Travis and Brooklyn after supper I went to the bedroom and laid down on my bed. After some time of thinking about my new situation I took my book "in cold blood" by Truman Capote out of my bag and continued reading. The story of Perry Smith and Dick Hickock being executed because of a multiple murder really fascinated me, since it was based on a true event in the 1950th.Later I desperately remembered the letter I wanted to send to Jamie. So I started immediately and wrote:

Dear Jamie,

Since I didn't have the opportunity to say goodbye in person I felt like sending this letter and give my scarf to you (which Mr Sykes has hopefully given to you, if you don't know what I'm talking about, let me know and I will make sure you'll get my present). If I'm honest, I felt dreadful to go and leave you alone, locked with the other maniacs. I promise with my whole heart that I will visit you as soon as I can and as often as I can. After my sister had picked me up, I found out that I have a brother in law, his name is Travis and I just don't seem to get along with him, he's strange and mean but fortunately acts as if I wasn't there. I'm really worried my sister suffers of him, although she said that he can be a good guy if he once got to know a person. I hope you are doing well and that times at the mental hospital get better after Alex had attacked me at Halloween. How is he? Really, I'm not mad at him. I am used to be a victim. Sending you love, hope and strength!

Love always, Dan

At about 3:30am I fell asleep. Neither Travis nor Brooklyn had looked after me until then. Brooklyn probably knew that I still needed time on my own.

Right after I got up at 8am this morning I listened carefully if anybody was already awake and I could hear someone in the kitchen. I slowly opened the door and saw Brooklyn running round. "Good morning Dan" she said and put some bacon into the pan on the cooker. "Breakfast is nearly ready but if you like you can go and take a shower first, Travis is also still asleep." I decided to take a shower first and as the warm water flowed down my body I reflected once more about the last few hours: I had finally been dismissed from the institution, my older sister Brooklyn had picked me up and now I was living with her and her cruel husband in their flat in the East of London. Well, was cruel the right adjective to describe Travis? I wasn't sure. In the end, we all have a cruel part within ourselves.

Half an hour later I was dressed and sat down at the kitchen table, Travis was awake now too and currently read the morning mail while sipping a cup of coffee. He didn't look up from the newspaper when I entered the kitchen, acted as if I wasn't there. So did I. Without any words Brooklyn put a piece of bacon and some scrambled eggs on my plate. On the table there was also some toast, jam, cheese and orange juice. I decided to drink some orange juice and began to eat. Fortunately my sister broke the silence and said: "Hope you've had a good night, Dan." I nodded. "Thank you, my night was alright." I thought it would be better to not tell her about the nightmares I often had and it was always the same one. Someone who I couldn't identify was chased by some demons, obviously for no reason. If I was perfectly honest, this person looked pretty much like me, but I was not really sure. My sister went on: "So, like I said yesterday I'd like to explore the city with you today. Any special wishes?" I negated. "Excellent, I suggest you need some new clothes first. Let's go to Harrods."

No sooner said than done Brooklyn and I found ourselves walking through Harrods in 87-135 Brompton Road. We had already picked some nice T-shirts, jeans and jackets but I had to try them on. It was insane how Brooklyn bothered to bring me back to life, to make me feel comfortable in my family again. She paid for all the stuff and then we went to a small Starbucks Cafe and had a hot chocolate (it was more and more freezing outside, almost beyond the bearable).There she tried to comfort me once more. "Dan, I might be annoying but this situation between Travis and you can't go on this way. If you ignore each other, you'll never build up a good relationship. Or at least a more tolerable one". She was damn right, those speeches were truly annoying, but I didn't let on about it. "I'll talk to him" I replied, which was not even a lie. If it was meant to be, I would do the first step.

Before we went home again, we stopped at a post office where I sent out my letter to Jamie, hoping that I would get a reply,