Just how fast the Night changes

Friday, 6th November 2009

Sitting in Will's kitchen at his flat in South London I told him everything that happened to me since I returned home and moved in with my sister. I told him I didn't get along with Travis, Brooklyn's husband, right from the start, that I wasn't able to compete with him and how the arguments between us afflicted my sister. I hope you understand why I kept it a secret that nightmares were still haunting me and that they got worse. "Dan, what's happening to you is really hard" Will stated. "I understand how you feel. Trust me. Maybe the little present I got you some days ago can distract you and give you some rest from the stress of the last days. He walked into the living room and gave me a sign to follow him. Suddenly I saw a small black electronic keyboard. It looked just like the one I had when I was a teenager and before I had to go to the mental hospital. "Will, is this... for me?" I asked. How the hell did he know about my obsession for music? As if he could read my mind Will answered:" I read your file at the mh several times and very carefully. In one sentence I read you have an obsession for music and stuff and you started writing songs when you were fifteen." I nodded. "I haven't seen a piano for ages". Immediately I took a seat and started playing. I was surprised I still had all the notes and melodies inside my head as if it was only yesterday when I rehearsed the songs the last time. I had written some of the melodies down but the sheets were at my family's house which I really never ever wanted to visit again in my life. I asked Will for some papers with staffs and he could hand out some. Luckily Will had also bought some headphones so I didn't disturb or bother him, except with my voice while singing. "I don't mind" he said. "I'm really impressed by your work. My favourite song is Pompeii haha". I smiled.

Hours and hours went by and passionate as I was I completely forgot about the time. My song "Pompeii" was finally finished and written down again and I had already started writing a song named "Oblivion". At about 8pm Will reminded me of what time it was and asked if I was hungry. I nodded. We ended up in ordering pizza, as Will was really not talented in cooking. Eating our pizza he said: "Oh I nearly forgot. I have something else for you. I guess you haven't received it yet." He reached to the sink and handed me a small envelope which read 'to Dan' on the back. I could imagine who had written this letter. I opened it, ignoring my pizza now and started reading.

Dear Dan,

Thank you so much for your lovely letter and especially for your scarf. I wear it every time I go out now and I feel warm and comfortable. It's terrible to hear that the husband of your sister is such a bastard and I understand how you feel. Hopefully you can get rid of him soon! I cannot wait for your next visit and to see your face and smell your scent again. Love you, Jamie

I read through the lines literally a thousand times and could hardly hold back my tears. I didn't want to cry in front of Will.

"Did she give you the letter?" I asked curiously. Will nodded. "She pleaded me to give it to you. And I promised to do so." I smiled because I really l liked how reliable Will was. "I thought I'd never get a reply from Jamie" I admitted. "When can we go and visit her?" Will needed a few seconds before he answered: "Tomorrow morning if you like."- "Yes!", I shouted, and hugged Will full of happiness and gratitude.