spooky nights

Saturday, 31st October 2009

Halloween has always been one of my favourite events of the year. I really like the pumpkin lights, skeletons, bats and witches which create a scary and frightening feeling. I used to scare my sisters when I was younger and they were furious as hell cause unlike me they hated horror and scary things, they detested Halloween, to be precise. Our parents always punished me for that by confiscating all my sweets I had collected and giving them to my sisters. In my opinion, that was pretty mean. At least there is a little Halloween party every year at the institution, special Halloween food is prepared and they also organise something like a disco, although I'm probably the worst dancer in the world I love to go there with Alex and enjoy the music. This year, I knew I would not just go there with Alex, I wanted Jamie to join me. After all, I had only two days left here so I really wanted to spend time with her, no matter how jealous Alex is. At about 5:30pm I took my skeleton costume out of the wardrobe in our room and got dressed. Alex put his Freddie Kruger costume on. We painted our faces and examined the results in the mirror. Hell, I thought ,tonight's gonna be so wicked! I hadn't told Alex yet that Jamie would be with us because I wanted to avoid any comment from him which would have destroyed my happiness and excitement about tonight. Jamie told me she would go as a devil and I hoped I could detect her.

We reached the cafeteria at 6:30pm where the party was already full in swing. Actually such things were really weird at a mental hospital, but on the other hand it was probably part of the treatment. It was very loud and I could barely understand what Alex said to me but we made our way to the table where the buffet was served. We ordered some drinks, a coke and an ice tea, and observed the dancing people. Suddenly, someone touched my arm, no other than Jamie. "Hey Dan", she smiled and tried to hug me, but then she saw Alex and changed her mind. "Jamie", I replied full of happiness. "You look great!" . She truly did. She was wearing a red dress, which was shining brightly under the light of the mirror ball and it highlighted once more her incredibly skinny body, in my opinion, Jamie was a bit too skinny. "Thank you so much" she replied and smiled. "Would you like to have a drink?" I asked. She nodded and I passed her a coke. After she had had a sip of it she asked me: "I'd like to dance, 'We will rock you' by Queen is on and it's one of my favourite songs". I hesitated and gave her a look that should express how sorry I was. "I'm so sorry, Jamie, but I'm truly a terrible, terrible dancer and I don't want to get lost in the crowd, as I'm also suffering of claustrophobia." She took my hand and I vellicated slightly. "Don't worry, I understand you", whispered Jamie straight into my ear. "Why didn't you tell me that this girl's gonna be with us too?", asked Alex full of jealousy. I tried my best to stay calm. "I didn't want any trouble, just enjoy the party with both of you. Besides, The 'girl's' name is Jamie." I could see how tense Alex was and how he gave Jamie a look of hate. "Stop hassling my other friends, that really confuses me." Now I wasn't calm anymore. I couldn't accept Alex' jealousy anymore. "I am your friend", he already cried now. I was so confused . "Of course you are", I replied, trying to comfort him. "Dan", Jamie interrupted me. "I think it's just his disease. You know, when you get something and you just want to have it for yourself, don't share it with anyone." I admitted I didn't know what Alex was suffering of but Jamies explanations sounded logical. "I've gotta go", she said. "Otherwise it will get worse. " I wasn't able to reply anything because she turned away immediately and left. I wanted to cry, run away from everything. Why couldn't I spend just one nice evening with my friends without any trouble? "Listen, Alex", I said seriously. "I am your friend, but not an object you can keep for yourself like a cuddly toy. I am a human, I have feelings and I am your friend as well as I am Jamies friend." I knew that this was useless since I didn't have any idea of Alex' disease but I wanted to try. "You're MINE!" Alex shouted, and wrapped his arms around my body and nearly squeezed me to death. I was almost choking. Security grabbed him and got him out of the room. I could barely catch my breath. What the hell had just happened? I got attacked by my best friend. Suddenly an announcement was made: "Due to this critical incident right now the Halloween party is over now. We want every patient to go back to his room. Thank you."

I was sitting in the new small room. The director had assigned me to a single-person room after he was told the news and he declared Alex for too dangerous to be with me anymore. " I bet you can take two last nights on your own" he said. I nodded silently. I was sad, just sad und shocked. I wasn't able to sleep. I wished I could go over to Jamie and be with her. I've never heard of any other incidents at the Halloween party here so this must've been the first time ever. An incident with fatal consequences.