Contacts

Sunday, 25th October, 2009

The whole day I've been thinking about who my new therapist tomorrow will be or if he will be better than the others I've had before. I am desperately hoping that he will claim me as recovered enough to be dismissed from the mental hospital soon. I know, a multiple personal disorder might cause lots of trouble and problems but as long as I don't hurt anybody or else I think I will be able to live my own life again. I haven't shown any attacks of my disease for some time so the signs don't seem to be that bad.

Today I went out for a while with Alex cause on Sundays the patients are allowed to walk around the yard of the mental hospital for a longer time than during the week. We can play games, do sports on the field and just forget about the building of the clinic. I mostly play football with Alex on the pitch, if it's not occupied yet and honestly, it's so funny. He's a real friend to me and I think he makes a contribution to the success of my healing. After lunch we met at a certain point of the building and went down the stairs to the yard together. When we opened the door, the warm autumn sun fell on our faces and warmed them. It was such a beautiful day! Alex, who held the football in his hands looked at me and smiled challenging. "Who's at the pitch first?". Suddenly he ran as fast as he could. I started to chase him and was able to overtake him. At the edge of the pitch I stopped and tried to catch my breath again. "First!" I shouted and turned round. "Next time, I'll overtake you my friend" Alex taunted and threw the football at me. Before we could start our match, a young man came towards us and wanted to know: "Hey, would you mind if I join you two?". I looked at him. He seemed quite nervous and anxious but he also tried to give us a friendly smile. "My name is Chris, but most people simply call me Woody because of my last name", he added and tried to shake hands with me, but I consciously ignored it, due to my fear of physical contacts. "I'm Dan, and this is Alex", I responded, trying to repay his kind remark. "Of course you can join us!" said Alex with a really pleased voice. "Let's go over to one of the goals and do a penalty shoot-out". So we did it and had more fun than anyone of us had ever had for months. Chris was a pretty good football player and when he was in the role of the keeper it was pretty hard to score a goal. We played until the late afternoon, when we were supposed to return to our rooms and wait for supper. When we walked through the corridors us three still couldn't stop talking about the nice afternoon we had together. "I haven't seen you here before", I admitted to Woody during a short break of our conversation. I think I haven't talked so much for a long while. It felt awkward to completely forget about my disease, I wasn't even sure if that was possible. "Well, I'm actually never interacting with people here", Woody explained. "I'm quite inconspicuous. I'm suffering of paranoia and persecution mania. But finally today I could find the courage to make some new contacts. You two seemed most trustable." I was completely surprised. Actually no one dared talking that frankly about his disease to other patients. I didn't even know what Alex was suffering of but Woody told us about his disease as if it was nothing serious.

I expected Woody to ask us about our diseases but fortunately he didn't. We silently continued our way through the corridors and arranged a meeting at supper after we all had taken a shower. When Alex and I came to the cafeteria we could instantly detect Woody in the crowd. He was sitting at a table alone and had already put his tray with the soup we got for supper today in front of him. "Hey" said Alex with a friendly voice. "Nice to see you again, mate. We're getting our supper and join you, okay?". Woody, obviously really enjoying his vegetable soup nodded quietly.

"I have to admit that this soup is really tasty today" Alex commented after he had tried the first spoon. "Yes, it is!" replied Woody. "Do you guys have planned anything for this evening?" he asked. "No. I actually wanted to go to bed early today because I'm getting a new psychiatrist tomorrow and I'm really nervous", I answered. "Oh that's always exciting", Woody replied. "No, it absolutely isn't", I said slightly mad. "It's gonna be my seventh psychiatrist in four years, how could this be exciting?". Actually I was sorry for being so unfriendly to Woody. He obviously hadn't been in the institution as long as I had been here. "Oh, that must be annoying", Woody said, ignoring the unfriendly sound in my voice. "I hope he'll be better than the other ones." I hope so, too, I thought but I knew that this was a lie to myself. Any hope in an institution is in vain. "I actually wanted to watch some football in my room with you", Woody explained. "That's why I asked you I've you've already planned anything."- "I'd be so happy!" Alex nearly exploded from excitement and happiness. For the rest of the conversation between Woody and Alex I didn't listen very much because my thoughts were focussed again on tomorrow. After I'd finished supper I took leave of the two new best friends and went back to my room. I was on my own the whole evening, while Alex was watching football with Woody and I desperately tried to sleep. I just couldn't.