1

"Who is he?" Nic asked the FA who passed by the aisle.

"Which one, ma'am?"

"That guy...by the window on the other side?"

"That's Dickie Fernandez, Ma'am....he's a famous model...."

"Ah okay, thanks...." Nic sat back in her seat. "Famous? I don't know who he is..." she thought to herself, closed her eyes and napped.

Nicola (Nic) Montecillo, a chef and writer, was on her way to a week-long cruise. She had just opened the 2nd branch of her restaurant and was taking a short break from the hustle and bustle of the kitchen and her business. She was also writing another book about food from different cultures.

Dickie Fernandez, well-known ramp and print model. He had a passion for the arts but his main income was modelling. He enjoyed travelling and was always thinking of going on adventures. He was set on moving to New York to try out the modelling and fashion scene there for a longer period. In fact, he had family upstate, his Dad's family lived there. He had been to several countries around the world because of his career but this was the first time he would actually get to stay in one country for a longer period. He was looking forward to the change in environment.

The plane from Manila landed in New York. Nic saw her bestfriend, Angela, at the door as she exited the airplane's tunnel. They hugged and Angela accompanied her to the baggage claim area. Angela worked at the airport so she had access to most of the public places of the airport.

"O girl....how are you? I've missed you!"

"Eto....gorgeous pa rin! You look good! I missed you!"

"Thanks! How's Jack?"

"Ayun...si Jack pa rin sya....he's busy with his restaurants also....kakabukas din lang nung resto nya sa QC area...."

"Eh ikaw? How's work?"

"Okay naman....diba nga I just opened my 3rd?....."

"Any plans of moving here? I know you've been wanting to.....It's been years since we've graduated from college and took our internship here....you always mention that you want to come back..."

"....It's still in my mind....I do want to....hindi pa lang siguro panahon...."

"Ay ewan ko sa yo....life here is fun....look at me! I never left and I'm having the time of my life...."

"Would you put me up for a while if I do decide to stay?"

"Oo naman....I'd even help you find you a place to stay....Marty has been asking about you nga e....I think he has something for you also...."

"Oh wow! Sige....I'll really think about it...."

"O tara na sa bahay so we can get your vacation started...."

"Are you ready na ba?"

"Oo naman....naka-file na ako ng leave ko.....bumili na nga ako ng bagong bikini e...."

"Patingin!" Nic chuckled as she and Angela loaded her luggages into a taxi.

Angela gave the driver instructions and the two girls continued updating each other as they rode to the city.

Dickie took a taxi to the apartment he would be staying at while in New York. It was near Broadway; He was planning to watch as many shows as he could during his vacation. His friend, Topper, a businessman, had been living in New York since they graduated from college 4 years ago.

"O Pare....are you in town na?" Dickie's phone rang while he was on his way to the apartment.

"Yeah...plane just landed....I'm on my way to the apartment..."

"Good...good....see you for dinner ha? I'll message you the restaurant name and directions from your place....sina Peps are joining us..."

"O sige...bye."

Dickie hung the phone up as the taxi pulled up in front of the building. He carried his bags up and drew a bath for himself. He checked his watch; He still had a couple of hours before meeting his friends for dinner. The view from his apartment was nice – trees surrounded a park below; Tall buildings outlined in the distance. Dickie felt like he was "home". New York seemed very familiar and homey to him even if he's only really stayed in the city for a couple of days a number of times, not even being able to really tour the city. New York's charm was what drew him to it. He called his Dad to inform him that he had arrived safely. After a few minutes, Dickie undressed and soaked in the tub.

Dickie, who was called "Choy" as a child, took a nap after his relaxing soak. He had a recurring dream from his childhood. In his dreams, he always saw that old house he used to play at as a small boy.

"Choy!"

"Yes?"

"...nasaan yung mga laruan mong bigay ng Ninong Ton mo?"

"Which one?"

"Anong which one? Etong batang 'to oo...."

"Yaya...it's just there....inside the box...."

"Kanina pa ako nagliligpit dito, hindi ko makita...."

"It's just there....go na yaya....go down na....Yaya, I want sandwich....peanut butter...."

"Peanut butter sandwich...."

"....and juice..."

"...juice...." Yaya Virgie looks at Choy, waiting.

"...please, yaya....thank you...."

Choy, an adventurous 8 year old, loved playing and exploring. He and his brother, Donjie, were always outdoors . They had discovered an old, abandoned house a few blocks from their house. The boys would often play there. Sometimes, their friends would join them at play but most of the time, Choy would sneak out of the house and away from his Yaya Virgie's watch and hang out and play alone in the abandoned house at the end of an empty street, two blocks from his house.