22

Nic moved away from the living room to talk to Jack. Many minutes later, she plopped back on the sofa beside Dickie who was quietly munching on some popcorn while watching TV.

"Jack...." He said, his voice with a tone of jealousy.

".....yeah....Jac.....queline....."

"Huh?"

"He's been in the closet about his preference for a long time now.....we never dated....just hung out with friends because that was the only way he could be himself.....he's selling his restaurant and wanted me to me to get first dibs on the equipment and stuff...."

"Ahh...."

"Sus! Na-jelly ka naman....." She held his left cheek in her hand and gave him a gentle kiss on the right cheek. "I have a question...."

"Yes?"

"Baka naman there's someone also that I should be jealous of...."

"Ahh wala....you can ask around pa.....wala!"

"Okay....." She replied and leaned her head on his shoulder.

A while longer, they ran out of popcorn. "I'll pop some more..." Nic said as she stood up from the sofa.

"....Ta....can you get us some drinks also....please...."

"Ta? I thought I heard call me Ga kanina...."

"Yes....Ta.....you....you're my Tata.....Ga also works.....you're my Pangga...."

"Tata?"

"In Ilonggo....it's what we call little girls....."

"Hmm...." Nic said as she entered the kitchen.

Nic returned with the popcorn and drinks.

"....eh if Tata is what you call little girls, what are boys called naman?"

"....depends on what "feels" right.....hahahahaha!....Remember? I used to be called 'Choy' because I was Tabachoy as a kid...... I guess "Toto" would be the closest...."

"So....if I'm your Tata or Ta....you're my To....."

"Hmm....I like that...." Dickie said as he put his arm around Nic and pulled her for another kiss on the lips.

"But do you really believe that relationships should have labels?"

"Hmm...honestly? Not really.....I think what's more important is what we feel for each other....not what others think...."

"True...."

Nic stood up from the sofa when the movie ended. Dickie had fallen asleep so she didn't wake him anymore. She stood up and showered and found Dickie lying down on the sofa fast asleep. She didn't wake him anymore even if he was still the same clothes he was in when they arrived at the house. It had been a long day for both of them and he had to drive. She covered him with a blanket and kissed him before going in the bedroom and to sleep.

The next morning, Dickie slowly gained consciousness of his surroundings. He was a bit disoriented as to where he was when he opened his eyes. The heavy smell of coffee reminded him of how he liked walking past coffee shops in the early mornings in New York. He lay on his back as he looked up at the tall ceiling of the living room, reminiscing on events the past days. He watched as Nic's head moved across the kitchen counter then remembered that he was on a weekend getaway with Nic, the love of his life.

Dickie quickly stood up and rushed to the bathroom. He noticed something "strange" about the bed in the master's bedroom. He went back out to where their other bags were – in the foyer—and picked out his toothbrush. While brushing his teeth, he observed the bed. Only one side was "used". The other side wasn't touched. The pillows were still fluffed and in the rightful place.

Dickie showered and went back to the kitchen just as Nic was putting the last of the strips of bacon on the plate. He grabbed a mug from the counter and poured himself a cup of coffee. He took a sip before approaching Nic and hugging her from behind.

"Good morning!" He said as he kissed her and offered her the mug.

"Morning!" Nic took the mug and took a sip of the coffee.

"That's yours na...." Dickie said as he poured himself another cup.

"Let's eat....do you want jam or syrup for your pancakes?"

"Wow! Full breakfast!" He said as he sat down on the chair. He pulled Nic to sit on his lap when she approached the breakfast nook and put the plate of bacon on the table.

Dickie didn't want Nic to leave his lap so they ate breakfast this way – Dickie feeding Nic some pancakes while Nic held a bacon strip and would feed herself and Dickie once in a while.

"Do you want the last strip?" Nic asked as she picked up the last bacon strip from the plate and held it up to Dickie's lips.

He took a bite then said, "...finish it..." which she did.

He held her neck and leaned forward to kiss her lips.

"Hmm....sarap!.....you taste like......"

"Bacon!" Nic giggled. "....and you taste like....syrup.....lagkit!"

Their tongues swirled in their mouths for few minutes before they broke off their kiss and stood up to clear the table and wash the dishes.