21

"Who's Jack?" Dickie asked as Nic woke up from her nap. They were on their way to their weekend getaway in the mountains. It was dusk and streaks of orange blended with the purple-blue sky.

"Jack?"

"Hmm....he's called you about 3 times already in the past hour..."

"So that was what I was hearing....I thought it was still part of my dream...."

"Dream?"

"Yes....in my dream, you and I were talking on the telephone.....about a house...."

"The house again?"

"Hmm...."

"So, who is Jack?"

"Jack.....Jack Salgado....chef and owner of 'Gusto'.....the restaurant across from '...travelling elephant...' He was my classmate in culinary school...."

"Did you date?"

"Uhmm....we went out with a couple of friends... nothing serious...."

"...." Dickie didn't say anything. He was concentrating on the road.They rented a mountain house for the weekend. It was in a secluded area so navigating to it in the woods, at night, was not very easy.

A few minutes more and they got to their destination. After carrying their bags into the foyer, they toured the house.

"Hi! Sorry for the mess...the 2nd bathroom leaked just the other day so we're having it fixed. You guys can stay in the master's bedroom. The bathroom there is working fine. There's food in the kitchen, too. Enjoy your stay!" Read the note that was attached to a basket of fruit on the dining table. Kim, Nic's friend, owned the cottage.

Nic and Dickie looked at each other and raced to the hallway where the rooms were. The guest rooms was slightly ajar so Dickie pushed the door open and found it set up like a storage room with boxes and other things all over the place. At the end of the hall was closed door, the master's bedroom. They raced to open the door and Nic got to the door knob first. She turned the knob and Dickie helped her push the door open. It was tasteful but minimally decorated. There was a king sized bed in the middle. A desk was on one side. The balcony opened up to the view of the mountains. Off to the side was a jacuzzi. The bathroom was big. Glass panels were used for the bathroom stall.

With hands on his waist, Dickie sighed.

"Bakit?"

"Uhmm....I guess I'm sleeping on the floor....."

"Anong floor? The bed is big enough for both of us...."

"Are you sure?"

"Unless malikot ka matulog.....or......manyakis ka....."

"Huy! ......I'm okay with the floor...."

"Ahh....ewan ko sa yo....just reminding you....you can sleep on the bed with me....." Nic smiled.

They toured the rest of the house. Finding the kitchen fully equipped, Nic got excited. The kitchen was her "kingdom". She ran a list of things she was going to prepare for her and Dickie in her head. "....a way to man's heart is through his stomach...." was the mantra Angela, her bestfriend in New York, kept on reminding her when they found out that Dickie was (also) a foodie.

"What do you want to eat?" Dickie called out as he was checking out the refrigerator. "....there's some veggies and fruit.....we brought naman some meats ata.....I'll transfer them from the cooler, okay?"

"...ahh...yeah....yes, please....just leave out the bacon.....I'll make us some carbonara for dinner.....look o, it's almost 8pm and we haven't eaten...."

"Uhmm....can I be the one to cook for us?"

"Huh? No na....help me nalang....."

"I insist.....at least just for tonight.....please....." Dickie said as he embraced Nic from behind while she was looking for a pot to use.

He gently rested his chin on her shoulder and repeated, "....let me cook for us tonight....."

"Uhh....sige......" Nic replied, a bit hesitantly. She patted his face and he straightened up. She tied an apron around his waist. ".....and I'll help.....what do you need?"

"Can you just please prepare the pasta noodles....I'm going to make Dickie's famous homestyle spaghetti...."

"Ooohh....sounds interesting....." Nic replied, smiling.

"Nic.....Nic.....Ga....."

"Y.....yes?" Nic wasn't sure if she heard him correctly. "Ga"? He called me 'ga'?" She thought.

"....can you please set the table?"

"S....sure....."

"Tadaaaah! Dickie's famous homestyle spaghetti! Buon apetito!" Dickie said as he served his dish at the table where Nic was seated.

"Hmm....smells good....!" Nic smiled.

"May I...." Dickie took a fork and twirled some noodles on it. He blew on it and offered it to Nic.

She smiled and nodded. She opened her mouth and tasted Dickie's cooking.

"...mmm...."

"Well?"

"...uhh...."

"It's panget? We can have the sandwiches Nanay Miling packed for us...."

"No! No! It's delicious! Sarap! Where did you learn to cook like that?"

"Hmm...you're making me bola!"

"No....it's masarap!" Nic took the fork and put another mouthful of pasta. Sauce had spread on the sides of her mouth.

DIckie picked up a tissue and wiped her mouth.

"Talaga?"

She nodded and fed him some.

".....I love pasta....I try to invent some dishes...."

"Let's try this out in the restaurant! I'm sure it will be a hit!"

".....no na.....this is just for you.....for us...."

"Okay....sit down na.....let's finish this....."

Dickie sat down and they fed each other; Giggling and talking about different things.

They helped each other wash the dishes. An Nic stood by the counter to wash the last of the utensils, Dickie stood behind her to reach up and return the plates they had used. Being slightly taller than her, he planted a kiss on the top of her head as he reached up then another one when he brought down his arms.

Nic turned and wiped her hands on his apron and proceeded to untie it. Dickie leaned in and kissed her on the lips. She got startled for a little bit but accepted his kiss and soon their tongues were battling it out inside their mouths. The dish rag and apron dropped to the floor as their hands explored their bodies.

Suddenly, Nic's phone rings. They cut their kiss but do not move until the ringing stopped.

"Where were we?" Dickie said as he moved his face closer to Nic's.

She didn't reply but instead, angled her head to receive DIckie's kisses.

The phone rang again.

"Don't move...." Dickie said, lips pursed on Nic's.

The ringing stopped again.

They thought that that was the last of it. They cleared out of the kitchen and cuddled on the sofa. They were going to enjoy a movie and some popcorn.....then the phone rings again.

Nic grabbed her phone from the table and (finally) answers the call.

"Hello.....Jack...." she looks at Dickie who is staring at her.