14

He sat on the stoop for a while.

"Im sorry. " he texted.

No reply.  He sat there for an hour before leaving and heading home.

She didn't message him any of her plans for the following day so he went out on his own, exploring the park and shops in his neighborhood. He sat on one of the park benches and munched on his sandwich, watching the kids play in the playground and group of guys play basketball at the courts.

"Hey! If you're not doing anything tomorrow, wanna catch a matinee?" he texted again.

An hour later, Nic still hadn't replied. Dickie began to wonder what other secrets Nic might be hiding. Had his kiss brought any bad memory or is she in a current relationship? He shrugged his shoulders and went about his day, trying no to think too much about Nic.

But how? She was pretty and her story, interesting. Was their second meeting serendipitous? He wanted to get to know her more.

"Hi! I hope you're okay."

It had been 4 days since he brought her home and kissed her.  3 days since she last said anything to him. Was he too forward? Or did he tell her his intentions? He cant remember. Maybe she had a boyfriend back in Manila. All these thoughts swirled in Dickie's mind. Who was this Nic girl, anyway? Why has she been in his thoughts for the longest time?

= = = = = = = =

Nic went up to the apartment and got ready for bed.

"He what?!" Angela asked, sitting next to Nic on the sofa-bed.

"....he kissed me....on the lips...." Nic said again, in a very soft voice.

"....eh si Jack?"

".....wala...."

"What do you mean?"

"Wala na kami ni Jack....4 months na....that's why I'm here....."

"Wait....diba sabi mo you're here in the States kasi magbabakasyon ka....and to get inspiration for your book....."

"Yes....and to get away from everything muna....."

"Ahhh...."

"Wala na akong feelings for him.....I just want to get away...."

"Is he still hanging around?"

"No naman....I heard hes dating someone.....ewan....we ended okay naman e....friends.....I guess...."

"I guess?......wait....is there someone else that I don't know about also?"

"Si Gino?....but...Dickie kissed me...."

"And?"

"Ewan....naguguluhan ako...." Nic rubbed her hands on her face.

"Are you saying na ayaw mo?"

"Ewan.....gusto....ata.....ewan.....sino ba kasi yang Dickie na yan?"

"Kababata mo....."

"Not exactly...."

"Okay....but someone from your past...."

".....it felt.....nice....."

"So....are you saying that you're falling for him?"

"I dont know.....he's cute.....he's nice.....he seems okay.....our stories match......and...." Nic stared, lost in her thoughts.

"And what?"

"....there's one more thing....."

"What?"

".....his mole....."