Chapter 12

I've been on my own for a week. I still haven't told anyone that my mom left. I'm hoping she'll come back soon. Does she expect me to pay the bills or is she going to send me money? I already have enough stress with finals coming up and college applications to fill out. I don't understand why she just didn't stay or even take me with her.

I've been laying in my bed since I got home and I really don't want to get up but I'm hungry. I get out of bed and walk down stairs to the kitchen. I open the fridge and look around. I don't see anything eatable so I open the freezer. It's empty. Great. I look around the kitchen and spot a loaf of bread. I guess I'll have toast. I pull two pieces out and stick them in the toaster. I wait for them to pop up then start eating them.

I finish and walk back up to my room. I lay on my bed and sigh. My phone starts vibrating hardcore so I pick it up. Connor is calling me.

I answer," Hello?"

"Hey! Can I come over? I miss you!"

"You saw me earlier but yeah come on."

He laughs," I know but I'll see you in 5."

I tell him bye and we both hang up. Connor and I have been spending a lot of time together this past week. Just hanging out like we always do and more. I'm glad I have him. I don't know what I would do without him right now.

I hear the door open and close then heavy footsteps. A few seconds later, my door opens and I see a smiling Connor walking my way. He looks as handsome as ever. His hair is messy from earlier. He is wearing black basketball shorts and a blue Kentucky shirt. He lays beside me and kisses me.

He pulls away and whispers," Ready for round two?"

I burst out laughing. He chuckles a little and gets on top of me.

He leans close to my face and says," I said are you ready for round two."

Trying not to laugh I say," Yessir"

He smiles and kisses me.

I smile over at Connor and he smiles back. He wraps his arms around my waste and pulls me close. I rest my head against his bare chest. He kisses the top of my head.

"I love you, Katie."

"I love you too."

I love laying in his arms like this. I feel safe and loved.

I wake up and look around. It's still dark out. I get out of Connors arms and grab my phone. It's 3 am. I get out of bed and walk into my bathroom. I quickly use it and go back into my room. I see Connor sitting up and looking out of the window.

He doesn't even look at me as he says," Where's your mom and Beth? Shouldn't they be home by now?"

I guess this is the right time to tell him. But how can I? Do I just come straight out and say that she left me alone?

"They're gone."

"What do you mean by gone?"

"They went to stay with my grandma for a while."

"She left you?"

That sounds so harsh coming out of someone else's mouth. I can feel my eyes starting to water. I don't trust my voice so I just nod. He opens his arms and I go into them.

"It's going to be okay. I'll be here for you. I'm not going anywhere."

I let the tears start falling.

I hear my phone buzzing really loud. I open my eyes and sit up. I look around and spot my phone. I pick it up and my eyes widen. Josh is calling me. I walk into my bathroom and shut the door. With shaky hands, I hit answer.

"Hello?"

"Katie.."

"Yes?"

"We need to talk."

"Why do you want to talk to me? You made it clear that you hated me."

"I could never hate you."

"What do you want?"

"To talk to you."

"You're doing that now."

"No, in person. Can you meet me later today?"

"Why should I?"

"You shouldn't but will you? Please, Katie."

I know that I shouldn't even think about meeting him in person. I shouldn't have even answered his call. But maybe he wants to apologize for what he said. I never gave him a chance to reply to me that night we fought. I know I shouldn't do this but I need to know what he has to say.

"Yeah, okay. I'll meet you later."

"Thank you. I'll text you the address."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye."

I hope I'm not making a mistake.