Chapter Six

"Just ignore him, Vanessa." I whispered to myself.

I really needed to concentrate if I wanted to live in California instead of Vermont.

I rested my chin in my hand as my elbow rested on the desk, hoping that would help me stay on task.

As for the sports in LACC, they weren't all that great. I wanted a school that was good at football or basketball or something.

Call me old fashioned, but I liked to go to a game once and a while.

When I was younger, I used to play basketball. But of course, my interest for that declined and my interest for partying and drinking went up.

Just because I don't play basketball anymore doesn't mean I can't enjoy a game every now and again.

As soon as I began to read into their "on-campus policy" section, the sound of the basketball grew louder- like he was doing it on purpose.

I tried to refrain from completely freaking out, but I couldn't take it. I needed him to stop.

I threw open the balcony doors and leaned over the edge.

He looked up at me as if he was waiting for me the entire time.

"Good, you came." He yelled.

I scrunched my eyebrows together and stared at him strangely.

"Were you trying to annoy me on purpose?"

"No, I didn't want to annoy you. I wanted to get your attention." He laughed.

"Well, I'm here." I sighed. "What do you need?"

He held the basketball in his hands and looked up at me with a smug smile on his lips.

What did he want from me? I was so confused.

"Are you going to tell me or should I just go back to what I was doing?" I growled.

"Well, that depends. What were you doing?"

There was a tone behind his voice that was easily recognizable. Basically, he was just trying to give me a hard time.

I sent him a look showing him that I was not in the mood to play games.

"Come down here. It will be easier for me to talk to you that way."

Wait a second. He wanted to talk? To me?

Now I was the one caught off guard.

"Is it really that important?" I sighed, giving in.

"You'll just have to wait and see."

To be completely honest, I wanted to talk to him. Really badly. But I couldn't let him see that. I didn't even want myself to see it.

"I'm a little busy right now. I'll catch you later." I said.

"Alright." He sighed. Right then, I knew he was going to get me to go see him whether I liked it or not.

"I guess I'll just have to keep playing basketball until I see you next." He said, trying to sound genuinely upset.

A puff of air escaped my lips and I looked at the door.

"Fine." I groaned. "Be there in a second."

I was afraid that we would leave off where we ended last night. I didn't want to talk about the fact that he was right and I was just putting up this tough exterior that wasn't me at all.