12 - Chapter Twelve - 12

Dr. Stanza had dropped of the box and he had left, telling me that he had to deliver the other supplies to the patients.  I'm not sure if I really believed the man.  Every time that I saw him my skin felt like there were a hundred bugs crawling all over me.  I knew that he didn't feel right, but he was one of the very few doctors here that didn't know about what the heads did to patients here.  There was no doubt in my mind that he might be someone to help, but then again I did not trust him whatsoever.

'Lies squirm and wriggle their way free.'

I put the boxes on the floor and had my back turned towards the closed door.  The doctors and nurses were glaring at us as we walked down the hall.  I'm not sure if it was directed at me this time, or if it was directed at him.  From the way that I had heard the two doctors talking about him earlier today, I knew that they did not like him, while the nurses swooned over him.

'Where will this insanity lead?'

The purple comforter was already lying on my cot.  The scratchy blanket that I had slept under for the last twelve years was now stuffed in the corner where the wet puddle had formed.  The blanket was now being used to catch each and every single drop that fell from the room so that I could no longer hear the dripping.  All that I could hear was just the faintest softest thud that the dripping created.  I knew that once the blanket became soaked it would start dripping again.  Once that happened, I would get the blanket dried and put it back in the corner.

'Blink and the world fades away.'

Now, I was sorting through the clothes that had come with it all.  There were all kinds of things in here that I had never even had the privilege of wearing in the institution.  Shirts, tank tops, jackets, and there were even jeans.  The last time that I had worn jeans was when I was thrown in here and forced to change into those awful gowns.  They had made me wear them until I was finally able to dig through an assortment of not very good clothing and find something that was anything other than the gowns.  There were even socks in here.  We never wore socks.  I never wore socks even when I was very young.  I much preferred walking around in my bare feet so that I could feel the grass beneath my toes.

What had me really twitchy about was what I had spotted in Dr. Stanza's office when he opened the second box.  I hadn't been able to make it out, all I had known was that it was something that was not clothes.  It turned out that there were even books in the boxes.  They didn't keep books here for us, so when my fingers touched the cover I was shaking violently all over.  I loved the clothes, but the books were something else entirely.  Whenever I started to open one of the covers, my breath froze in my throat and I couldn't even breathe.

'Is that real?  It can't be real.  When was the last time we seen a book?'

My fingers brushed against the covers of the books and I was picking them up oh so very carefully.  The books were: Alice Adventures in Wonderland, the Scarlet Letter, A Midnight Summers Dream, and Gulliver's TravelsThey were books that I have heard of before, even some of the nurses and doctors talked about these books.  I carefully grabbed all four of them and clutched them to my chest.  This was the only real thing that I would own, besides the clothing.  Books had always held my fascination, but this was different.  Now that I owned these books, they were going to be one of those items that people keep hidden somewhere in the room and never be found.  Well, since I didn't exactly have anywhere to hide them, I was going to make sure that they stayed out of sight.  If the nurses and doctors came in here and found them, they would take them away from me.