Skorm

Skorm watched the vine turn a blackish purple down the mountain, the fur rising on the back of his neck.

"Stay behind me" Julian ordered, his voice tense with fear. Skorm backed against the cliff, there wasn't much else he could do. Aparri lifted his head, looking unnerved; and gazed up the canyon wall,

"Julian" he turned back to call for the horse that was leading the group; "we have to keep going! We'll be trapped here!" 

Skorm bristled at the thought of being trapped against the cliff, phantoms advancing on them. The only way the vine could of shriveled in that way was if phantoms would have touched it. He shivered and his paws itched to push past and run far away. Julian sighed,
"Okay, but be careful," he started to edge along the cliff again, the path becoming less narrow. 

Skorm peered over Aparri's head to see if Bepper was okay. She was following Julian, her eyes wide in fear as she peered down the cliff. Suddenly she stumbled on a stone, letting out a yelp as she slid off the side, her legs dangling. Skorm halted in shock,
"Bepper!"

In an instant Julian jumped and grabbed Bepper's tie in his teeth, hauling her onto the path again. Skorm looked away, angry. She didn't need him. This was all Alistairz's fault. The thought kept bothering him as the vine led away from the cliff and up a rocky hill. It was stupid, all so stupid. Skorm had never felt so angry. Alistairz wouldn't quit, would he? Skorm kicked a stone; well, if that's what he wanted; Skorm would have to do something about it. He felt hate close around his heart, a plan forming in his mind. It had been long enough, Skorm was tired of it.

"Skorm!" A voice whispered in his ear. He jumped. 

"W..What?" He jerked his head around. Aparri and new jammer were a few paces ahead of him, heads bent against the wind. Skorm shrugged and walked on. 

"Skorm!" The whisper was more urgent. Skorm growled and whipped around, noticing a gleaming eye in the shadow of a boulder. He bared his teeth,
"Who's-" a paw slapped over his muzzle and a creature glared at him. It was a pale green arctic fox, but half of it's body was gone. Skorm tried to scream underneath the paw, but the fox pulled him beneath the boulder.

"Keep it down, will you?" It growled,
" I have a proposition for you,"

Skorm snarled and struggled out of the grasp,
"You better have a good explanation!" He growled.

The fox looked scared,

"Shh no, I mean; yes. I can help you!" She backed against the boulder as Skorm advanced. 

"What is it?" He growled. 

"I can give you great power, power to defeat any enemies." The fox smiled in a strange way. Skorm paused, thinking. Power. That would sure come in handy. Power to defeat Ali, to kill-

"Skorm?!" It was Wisteriamoon's voice. Skorm froze and looked up, then turned back to the fox.  

"We must talk later," this strange glitched fox had enticed him. Skorm wondered where she had come from, or what power she had to offer. This could be the answer. The answer to all their problems. Defeat the strange army, save the alphas, get a hold of Alistairz... Skorm smiled at the thought.

"Meet me a nightfall near the sparkling pool and waterfall, you'll see it." 

Skorm nodded, still not quite trusting her, but willing to take the chance.

"Skorm?!" Julian's voice now yelled.

"I'm here!" Skorm took one last look at the fox in the shadows and ran, meeting up with his friends.

"Where were you?" Aparri asked, looking suspicious. Skorm shrugged,
"Thought I saw something." He said simply. 

Aparri grunted, turning to walk again,

"So it was nothing?"

Skorm ignored the sarcasm in the red wolf's voice;
"Yeah"

The sun was nearing the horizon when the group decided to rest near a mountain stream underneath a few shadowy pines. Skorm sunk down in the shade, letting out a sigh of relief. How long was this freaking journey going to take? 

"Whoa, you can see everything from here," Bepper breathed. New Jammer nodded, her eyes wide;
"It reminds us all of how big our world is, and how lucky we are to have a home." There was a note of sadness in her tone.

 Skorm saw Aparri's eyes glow and he touched his tail to her back. She smiled up at him. Skorm looked away glumly, why must he be the only one without the perfect relationship? He thought again of the strange fox and got a flash of hope. Perhaps this would all change for the better. Could he trust her? 

"Hey Skorm, you wanna... Uh, talk?" It was Bepper. She looked down at him; her eyes hopeful. Skorm tensed, tenderness flooding his heart. He'd missed her. But talking? Would he have to tell her everything? He shook his head to clear his thoughts.

"I mean I guess." 

Bepper sat down next to him with a sigh,
"Listen, I'm sorry Skorm. We keep getting into fights and it's my fault. I feel like you ignore me, or don't care." She looked up at him,
"Are you okay?" 

Skorm shrugged, feeling love pull at his heart. He wanted her; but things had to be done first.
"I... I, I'm sorry too. I didn't know you felt that way." He touched his nose to hers softly,

"Don't worry about me." He said quietly

"I love you." Bepper whispered, leaning against his chest;
"Please let's not fight again." 

Skorm rested his head on hers then pulled back. Bepper went on,
"Skorm, if there's anything bothering you, or there's something you're hiding; you will tell me, right?" 

Skorm paused, gazing out over the valley and the little land of Jamaa surrounded by trees, he couldn't, he wouldn't; she'd have to understand this was for her good.
"I... Yes Bepper, I would." The words stuck to his tongue and he felt guilt pull at his heart. Was he doing the right thing? 

Bepper looked at him sadly, as if she knew; then stood up, whispering under her breath as she walked off;

"I just thought you'd understand,"

Skorm closed his eyes for a moment. Everything was so complicated. There was only one last hope. This would have to work. Tonight, his world could change; and everyone would know it was Skorm who had saved them, and not led the army. Bepper wouldn't worry about it. But the most satisfying thought of all, was the picture of Alistairz's terrified face as he got what he deserved. Skorm opened his eyes, determination filling his heart and flooding out all other thoughts. He smiled; revenge was going to be sweet...